Dry hops haven't fallen out yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndoe22

Reaction score
I brewed a SNPA Clone and it's been two weeks in the secondary with an once of cascade dry hops and they heven't fallen out yet. I plan on botteling the pale ale. What shoud I do if they havent fallen out by Thursday?

They're still floating? Just put the racking cane under them, but above the yeast cake (trub) and rack from the middle. Lower the racking cane until you start to get too close to the bottom. By then, the hops and the trub will meet. Then, when you start to suck up trub, just stop. You'll be fine.

Rock the carboy/bucket a bit and the hops will start falling out fairly rapidly. The ones that don't, just rack under them like yooper said.

My leaf hops never fully settle out... they are generally floating all over in the carboy... this is why I started to use pellets for dry hop. Heard that they work better since they are pulverized... and they just settle to the bottom with the rest of the sludge.

I've never had whole hops drop out...they stay right near the surface, but I also don't leave them longer than 10 days. I always just rack out from under them with no issues.

Thanks for the great for advice. Tomorrow is the judgment day. Carefull racking will be the word of the day.

If I dry hop in a primary I will use a hop bag tied to my auto siphon and transfer as you would normally. Works great.:mug:
I may try next time using a hop bag with marbles and hops in a primary bucket instead. I dry hop my kegs with either hops bags w/ marbles or tea strainer balls if I use pellet hops.

If you can cold crash, that'll sink them. I also use gelatine after cold crashing and everything sinks to the bottom nicely.

Back