Sweet Stout Left Hand Milk Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anyone in Portland, OR is interested in trying a coffee version of this, I made it with a local brewery 1.5 Barrel batch and it will be pouring at the Bakers Dozen Coffee Beer and Donut Festival March 12. Put it on your calendars. Stuck to the main recipe and added 5lbs of cold pressed coffee to 1.5 barrel. Single-farm Honduran coffee, really smooth. I see above Brewbrewbeans says the coffee was overwhelming. Hmm, we really wanted the coffee to be bold, not subtle, but it will sit for 5 weeks before being poured so I think it will come out just right.

It very well could have been the amount of coffee for the batch size I made. And even though a bit overwhelming, it is uber delicious nonetheless! I'm sure you'll get 0 complaints ;)

I've brewed this recipe at least four times and the better tasting versions were all mashed around 150. For what that's worth. Brew on. :)

Mine always seem to mash about 152 or less, one was even under 150 and they have all been delicious. I have made this recipe at least 10 times with different flavor additions (chocolate, coffee, vanilla, vanilla/chocolate/strawberry) and it is a hit each time. One batch I made was too sweet but I accidentally put in about 1/4 lb more lactose than called for. Totally noticeable!

If you have the ability to make 10 gallon batches, go for it with this recipe, it is a winner.

I apologize for not reading all of the pages of posts before asking this, but the original recipe calls for roasted barley at 300 srm which is 222 L. Was it supposed to be lovibond and not srm?

I apologize for not reading all of the pages of posts before asking this, but the original recipe calls for roasted barley at 300 srm which is 222 L. Was it supposed to be lovibond and not srm?

I never noticed that. I think they were all supposed to be lovebond looking at them. At least that's my guess. On roasted barley it won't matter, all brands are still roasted barley, though some may have stronger or better flavors.

HI Guys, this is my first post here. I am am getting back into brewing after taking 18yrs off. I brewed this recipe a few weeks ago and it seems my final gravity is going to be 1.030. OG was 1.060. I originally used WLP002 with a starter and have repitched WLP004 with starter to try to get it going with no luck. I mashed at 152 and did a mashout at 168. Any ideas?

What temp is your fermenter currently at? If it's on the cold side, try raising it to around 68 degrees.

The fermenter is at 68 degrees so that should be good. One thing I forgot to mention was that my mash ph was only 4.9. Could that cause this problem?

I chose this recipe to make the jump into all grain. Just pulled a gravity sample and I am not disappointed! I miss my OG by a little bit but it taste great. I will definitely have to do this one again once I get my system down.

Has anyone tried using Patagonia Black Pearl instead of Roasted Barley?

I had trouble getting this to ferment out as I was stuck at 1.028. It tasted freaking awesome so instead of messing around with it, I kegged it. Just poured off my first pint and it's easily the best homebrew I've made to date. Make this, you wont regret it.

I had trouble getting this to ferment out as I was stuck at 1.028. It tasted freaking awesome so instead of messing around with it, I kegged it. Just poured off my first pint and it's easily the best homebrew I've made to date. Make this, you wont regret it.

Im currently in this situation as well, week and a half ago its been at 1.030 (fermenting for 2 weeks), I shook it up some hoping once i return from vacation it dropped a bit. We shall see. The sample tasted great!

Both of those FG's seem okay for this brew. I have made it in the past as well and the oatmeal and the lactose in it really bump up the FG. Also depending on the accuracy of your temps during mashing you may be over/under the amount of unfermentable sugars produced.

Has anyone modified the grain bill to 7% abv?
Looking to get the flavors more robust and keep some balance.

Has anyone modified the grain bill to 7% abv?
Looking to get the flavors more robust and keep some balance.

I have with just increasing the base malt. I honestly couldn't tell the difference with a 7% or a 5% by taste. Could just be my burnt out taste buds

So I brewed this recipe for my Christmas beer that I give out to friends and family. Decided to enter it into the Bluebonnet Brewoff.

Got the results today and it must of been stiff competition since I averaged 40.5 for the first round and 39.5 for the second round and did not place.

Would have been nice to place but it still tells me that this is a solid recipe!

I was the one that posted a bit back and I was stuck at 1.030. I actually added 1LB of corn sugar to the primary to try to get the abv up just a bit. I kegged it and drank some but I felt something wasnt quite right with it. I was going to dump it but wanted to learn what wasnt right. I sent it off to a contest to get some feedback and damn if it didnt win.....What the hell do I know!

I was the one that posted a bit back and I was stuck at 1.030. I actually added 1LB of corn sugar to the primary to try to get the abv up just a bit. I kegged it and drank some but I felt something wasnt quite right with it. I was going to dump it but wanted to learn what wasnt right. I sent it off to a contest to get some feedback and damn if it didnt win.....What the hell do I know!
That's awesome! Congrats!

There are no harsher critics than ourselves so it doesn't surprise me that you won. [emoji6]

That's just how damn good this beer is!

It very well could have been the amount of coffee for the batch size I made. And even though a bit overwhelming, it is uber delicious nonetheless! I'm sure you'll get 0 complaints ;)
Indeed, zero complaints received. It came out a little less coffee that I thought, which, for a coffee beer festival wasn't ideal BUT having said that, it's actually perfect as a solid coffee Milk Stout.

I'm going to make this brew next week. Thinking about going with about half the lactose cause I don't want it too terribly sweet to drink, and going to be adding some cold pressed coffee.

Any thoughts?

I'm going to make this brew next week. Thinking about going with about half the lactose cause I don't want it too terribly sweet to drink, and going to be adding some cold pressed coffee.

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't adjust the Lactose at all. it doesn't come out to be too sweet at all. And I used the cold pressed coffee as well. You will not be dissapointed with this brew.

Any thoughts?

Have you brewed this before using the recipe on the first page? If you haven't then brew it like it's listed. It really is a great recipe. If you think it's too sweet then brew it again and back off of the lactose. I like the original and others that have tried it like it as well. I've brewed it four or five times now and I plan to brew it this week or next. Just my thought on it. Cheers and happy brewing!

Any thoughts?

I've made this a bunch of times. I don't believe the 1lb of lactose makes it too sweet. I think it makes it a milk stout. The cold pressed coffee is a fantastic idea!

I'm gonna try something similar to this as a partygyle from a Kate the Great brew. With exception to the grain bill I'll follow the original post. Can't wait

Ive had great contest results with this one. Three contest, 2 wins, 1 second(by a 1/2 point) and a 2nd in BOS.

I've brewed my first batch of this beer and it is really really good.
Has anybody tried this recipe using Wyeast 1318 or any other yeast?

I've never used 1318 but I have brewed this recipe with WLP028 a time or two, since it has become my default clean ale strain. It's a little less attenuating than Chico, which I think works well with flavorful stouts like this one.

Brewed this last night and made an error. When it came time to add the hops I accidentally add .35oz of the East Kent when it was time to add the Magnum. I realized this a minute or two after the addition and went ahead and added the recommended amount of Magnum at that time. Added the remaining .65 oz of East Kent with 10 min remaining in the boil. How bad of a screw up is this?

Not enough to make any significant difference. The beer will still be really close to the same balance you would have got otherwise. Hops are just for balancing in this one.

Brewed the original recipe today, did a ten gallon batch so I just doubled everything. Ended up with an OG of 1.054... Should of had an OG of 1.059, but that's just me getting used to all grain.

image.jpg

I brewed this four weeks ago. Fermented at 66 for 5 days. Upped the temp to 75 for 3 days then out of the fermentation chamber to rest at ambient for 2 weeks. I kegged it up and put it on gas. I tried it last night. Truly delicious, it's easily the best dark beer I've ever made. It's not going to last long.

Perfecto thanks. I'll be brewing this over the weekend and will add a mix of bourbon and vanilla in secondary. Yummy.

I agree 1 pack is sufficient. I rehydrate.

I'd disagree on only1 pack....
The OG is 1.068 isnt it? If so I'd use 2 packs, maybe even 3.

Having said that. I have WY1469 slurry, recently Harvested.
Now this is a lower attenuating yeast, but I feel like it would work really well in a Sweet stout.

I'd mash lower to compensate somewhat, but should i down grade the lacotose slightly? from 1lb to maybe 3/4lb?

I'd disagree on only1 pack....

The OG is 1.068 isnt it? If so I'd use 2 packs, maybe even 3.

Having said that. I have WY1469 slurry, recently Harvested.

Now this is a lower attenuating yeast, but I feel like it would work really well in a Sweet stout.

I'd mash lower to compensate somewhat, but should i down grade the lacotose slightly? from 1lb to maybe 3/4lb?

Mind going into a little detail about why you say 2-3 packs of dry yeast?

Back