Adding spices, sour cherries to a belgian quad...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mloula

Reaction score
Brewing a Belgian Quad this weekend. Was thinking about adding either Grains of Paradise or maybe some Allspice. Not sure about the amounts to add if so. Also considering a couple cans of Oregon tart cherries in the primary after a week and letting them soak for a month or so.

What are your thoughts?

Brewing a Belgian Quad this weekend. Was thinking about adding either Grains of Paradise or maybe some Allspice. Not sure about the amounts to add if so. Also considering a couple cans of Oregon tart cherries in the primary after a week and letting them soak for a month or so.

What are your thoughts?

It's like saying "this maytag blue cheese is kind of bland. I need to add some habanero and salt."

Understood. Glad I was only thinking about doing it and didn't actually do it. I agree that a Quad really doesn't need anything extra. Hmm, still considering the cherries though.....

Understood. Glad I was only thinking about doing it and didn't actually do it. I agree that a Quad really doesn't need anything extra. Hmm, still considering the cherries though.....

Check out themadfermentationist.com blog. You will find a lot of splendid recipes that you can start with or use outright.

Maybe pull a gallon of it and age THAT on the sour cherries. Sour cherries are much better for cherry flavor than sweet cherries. I bet it'd be really tasty, but I'd want a test gallon before doing a whole batch. How does that sound?

Thanks for the suggestion, bacon. I should really visit his site more often. And daksin, I like that idea. I brewed the beer today and didn't add any spices. Think I can sacrifice a gallon for the greater good of homebrewing and throw some cherries in it.

Back