Amarillo Hop Dust

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinHooligan

Reaction score
$15.99 per pound right now here. I just placed my order to make sure I got mine before they were sold out. Limited quantities so hurry if you are interested. :ban:

Thats my plan too. I imagine utilization will be the same as using a pellet of equal weight.

hmm, but it's the only "dust" they sell even though though they don't currently sell or have sold any 2012 amirillo hops. are we being duped here?

Might not be from their processing line. I have nothing but good things to say about this retailer and will be able to tell for sure as soon as mine arrives and I take a whiff.

Are you guys serious? You're buying the stuff they sweep up off of the floor?

Hotdog: a plastic like saussage wannabe made from all the vrap on the floor that cant be used in good stuff and bulked out with saw dust

Are you guys serious? You're buying the stuff they sweep up off of the floor?

So your concerned about something being on the floor? You do know hops grow outdoors, near dirt, bugs and any other thing you could imagine.

Demon said:
So your concerned about something being on the floor? You do know hops grow outdoors, near dirt, bugs and any other thing you could imagine.

Personally, I would be more concerned with paying more for a pound of dust, the stuff that is the leftover byproduct of the harvest, than I would pay for a pound of actual hops...

Personally, I would be more concerned with paying more for a pound of dust, the stuff that is the leftover byproduct of the harvest, than I would pay for a pound of actual hops...

+1

Especially since it's most likely a leftover blend of remnants from many harvests [spanning a period of a couple years] that may perhaps be lacking in aa%, aroma, and overall quality.

The key word in this statement is "near".

Someone just found a dead bird in a bag of whole leaf citra hops. A. Dead. Bird.

Don't think hops are clean. They are flowers that grow on bines outdoors. Birds crap on them, they are dirty, they are plants.

The machines that harvest hops aren't clean. The machinery that processes hops aren't exactly clean.

Hop dust shouldn't scare you. Is it an inferior product? Sure, It's hop dust. But it's not inherently more dirty than hops.

HollisBT said:
I'm more concerned with the fact that the Amarillo harvest was decimated this year, and you probably aren't even going to be seeing any a month from now. Also, I've just recently spent nearly $200 on hops and I needed some cheap Amarillo. This fit the bill perfectly. I'll probably dump half the bag in one batch
bobbrews said:
+1

Especially since it's most likely a leftover blend of remnants from many harvests [spanning a period of a couple years] that may perhaps be lacking in aa%, aroma, and overall quality.
What would make you think that? You think they just leave that stuff under the machine for years and then eventually scrape it up? I guarantee you this if from this year.

bottlebomber said:
I'm more concerned with the fact that the Amarillo harvest was decimated this year, and you probably aren't even going to be seeing any a month from now. Also, I've just recently spent nearly $200 on hops and I needed some cheap Amarillo. This fit the bill perfectly. I'll probably dump half the bag in one batch.

Yes, the harvest this year was minimal, but I would find a more legit way of salvaging my forecasted brews... Like trying a different varietal of hops.

Also, you wanted cheap Amarillo hops, I can find no reason anyone would legitimately need them.

Best of luck with the fairy dust, And I am genuinely curious to see people's results with it. I could see dry hopping with it or perhaps for a <5 minute addition, but don't think I would brew with something of questionable alpha content.

You people crack me up. Often at the bottom of my 1lb bags of hops (no matter the supplier), there is at least an ounce of hop dust. You know what I do with it? I use it. I treat it as an ounce of hops.

I doubt it has questionable alpha content. It's probably smack in the middle of Amarillo's alpha range. As I said earlier in this thread: Is hop dust an inferior product to hop pellets, yes probably. Whether it's perception or reality, it is the 'left overs'. But give the ridiculous negativity a break. Mouse turds? Really?

How would AA% be questionable with the hops being in smaller sizzed pieces?

If anything I bet they would have better utilization... ie. Whole < Pellet < Dust.

I use Amarillo exclusively for late additions, it's aroma is what I am after so I really don't care about the aa. This will be perfect for my needs. The cost was far less than anywhere else and there isn't a suitable replacement for Amarillo IMO. Mix that with some Simcoe and you have heaven in a glass.

While I love a good Amarillo IPA I can't see paying 2X what I pay for Cascade and Willamette (my preferred dry hopping hops) for "Dust". I need to start growing Amarillo, Simcoe and Citra!

Jayhem said:
I need to start growing Amarillo, Simcoe and Citra!

Your going to have to steal the plants/ rhizomes, order wet hops and try to root a vine with a growth tip, or wait a long time for the patents to end.

You people crack me up. Often at the bottom of my 1lb bags of hops (no matter the supplier), there is at least an ounce of hop dust. You know what I do with it? I use it. I treat it as an ounce of hops.

When you buy a pound of pellet hops you should be able to assume that they haven't been laying on the floor.

I doubt it has questionable alpha content. It's probably smack in the middle of Amarillo's alpha range. As I said earlier in this thread: Is hop dust an inferior product to hop pellets, yes probably. Whether it's perception or reality, it is the 'left overs'. But give the ridiculous negativity a break. Mouse turds? Really?

You don't know how long it was laying around the machine before they swept it up.

At this point, I'm just here for the entertainment. ;)

scottland said:

So suddenly there is no difference between pelletized hops that got smashed and the leftover waste from the hop warehouse floor?

I personally don't think it is "ridiculous negativity", but so goes the saying about a fool and his money.

So suddenly there is no difference between pelletized hops that got smashed and the leftover waste from the hop warehouse floor?

I personally don't think it is "ridiculous negativity", but so goes the saying about a fool and his money.

Not terribly. All hop pellets start life as whole hops.

Those whole hops get pulverized into hop dust. Most of that hop dust gets compressed into pellets. This is most likely some left over hop dust that didn't. I really won't look at it any more differently than pellet hops.

I think people have some misconceptions about how hops are made, and how clean the hops they get are.

My concern with hop dust is that hops lose aroma quickly when exposed to the air. Once compressed into pellets most of that aroma is retained but in dust form just laying in a vat much would be lost, especially if it's days or weeks before this dust is collected.

If you guys are so concerned over the quality of the product, why not email the vendor. He either knows how the hop dust was obtained/packaged, or he can find out.

Making assumptions on a forum isn't the road to straight answers.

HollisBT said:
Yes, the harvest this year was minimal, but I would find a more legit way of salvaging my forecasted brews... Like trying a different varietal of hops.

Also, you wanted cheap Amarillo hops, I can find no reason anyone would legitimately need them.

Best of luck with the fairy dust, And I am genuinely curious to see people's results with it. I could see dry hopping with it or perhaps for a <5 minute addition, but don't think I would brew with something of questionable alpha content.

By your logic I don't see how anyone even NEEDS beer. In my opinion anyone who bitters with Amarillo is foolish.

bottlebomber said:
By your logic I don't see how anyone even NEEDS beer. In my opinion anyone who bitters with Amarillo is foolish.

Correct, maybe some people should learn the difference between needs and wants...

And everyone is entitled to their opinion, that doesn't mean they are right.

I doubt it has questionable alpha content. It's probably smack in the middle of Amarillo's alpha range.
methinks that the dust would have higher AA% than hop pellets and flowers since there is a higher proportion of lupelin glands in the dust and less vegetal matter. i say this based on the dust at the bottom of my pound bags.

Back