Advice needed, please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaundesjardins

Reaction score
Hello,

I finally got a little activity in my fermenter after about 5-6 since I pitched the yeast. I have some krauzen and some foam. I used a Wyeast (pilsner) smack pack but didn't let it expand (stupidly) before pitching the yeast.
Anyhow, I just checked my gravity and I got a 1.048.
My OG was 1.052. Barely any fermentation after 10 or so days of being in the fermenter. Should I get another pack of yeast at this point?
What should I do now?

Hello,

I finally got a little activity in my fermenter after about 5-6 since I pitched the yeast. I have some krauzen and some foam. I used a Wyeast (pilsner) smack pack but didn't let it expand (stupidly) before pitching the yeast.
Anyhow, I just checked my gravity and I got a 1.048.
My OG was 1.052. Barely any fermentation after 10 or so days of being in the fermenter. Should I get another pack of yeast at this point?
What should I do now?

What is the temperature you're fermenting at? 5 gal batch? Did you smack the pack at all or did you just pull it from the fridge and dump it in?

Letting it expand isn't neccessary, but it does prove the yeast to be viable and it gives them a little nutrient kick.

Sounds like your yeast didn't go off well. I would be dumping in more yeast pretty fast and perhaps make a starter first or if using dehydrated yeast at least rehydrate it first.

It's fermenting at around 12 celcius.
I used a smack pack and let it sit for about 20-25 minutes after "smacking" the pack before pitching yeast.

5-6? Is this days? Do you know what temperature your wort was at when you pitched the yeast? Was it over 26 C?
12C is a little cold if this is not a lager yeast. If this is not a Lager yeast, you may want to gently swirl your primary and get the temp a little warmer. Ideally, the temp should be between 17 and 20 (if my farenheit to celcius conversions are correct)

Oops, yes 5-6 days. It's a BrewHouse pilsner kit but I'm using a Wyeast Pilsner Yeast (#2007)
I didn't boil the wort or anything. Just poured in to glass carboy and then added spring water to 5 gallons. The wort was at room temp. when I pitched the yeast. I've tried swirling the carboy 4-5 times since I initially pitched the yeast. I do have some fermentation but it seems awfully slow. from 1.052 to 1.048 in about 10-11 days.

Try bring the temp up a bit (try not to go above 22) You can wrap it with a blanket and use a heating pad or just move it to a warmer location. If it doesn't start fermenting within 2 days after that, then pitch some more yeast.
You mentioned no boil - did you shake or aerate before pitching - Yeasts need oxygen to propagate. Are you using a Mr. Beer kit?

Ok I'll try bringing out of the cellar and into a warmer spot in the house for a day or two.
I'm pretty sure I swirled the wort before pitching the yeast but don't remember 100%.
I'm using a BrewHouse brand kit. It's a pre-hopped kit that only needs 1.5-2 gallons water to added to make 5 gallons.

Like I said, if there is no activity after warming it up, go ahead and pitch some more yeast. I sure hope this isn't your first batch - I'd hate to see you get discouraged.

Like I said, if there is no activity after warming it up, go ahead and pitch some more yeast. I sure hope this isn't your first batch - I'd hate to see you get discouraged.

Ok will do.
This is my second batch. First batch was a dark ale using a cooper's kit and it turned out quite good.
I'm definitely not discouraged. I'm hooked for life.

Thanks for you help.

Is is a huge deal if I end up pitching another strain of lager yeast? I may have bough the last Wyeast 2007 my LHBS had in stock.

Someone else on here may have another answer, but, I would check with them to see what they have that is compatible with what you pitched with.

Back