f150 engines!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eriktlupus

Reaction score
dangit went out to start the 150 up this morning and the starter turns and then stops the engine is freaking seized:mad: .. shoulda known this would happen let it sit during winter again(2wd king cab sucks on snow).

anyone know how to swap a 6cyl300ci ford?

i can get a full used for bout $450

i am a chevy man, i've always thought the 350 was perhaps one of the most universal and easiest motors to work on...

altho in the fire service they rely on a ford super duty quad cab for a squad unit and i'll admit i really like that truck.

sorry, i'm of no help.

eriktlupus said:
dangit went out to start the 150 up this morning and the starter turns and then stops the engine is freaking seized:mad: .. shoulda known this would happen let it sit during winter again(2wd king cab sucks on snow).

anyone know how to swap a 6cyl300ci ford?

i can get a full used for bout $450

97-98 V6s had bad head intake gaskets and a timing chain cover gasket which would allow coolant to weap into the #4 cylinder causing a hydrolock. Like some one said before pull the plugs and try to turn it over. You might have already bent a rod though. You might get lucky though.

A swap on the 4.2 isn't very difficult though.

edit- NM just noticed its an older straight 6. Dont know much about those. The guys at V6f150.com might be able to help you, great bunch of info over there but it is mostly for the 4.2

The starter wouldn't turn at all if the engine was seized. You would just here the "clank" of the starter engaging, then nothing would move.

mrk305 said:
The starter wouldn't turn at all if the engine was seized. You would just here the "clank" of the starter engaging, then nothing would move.

That's why I reckon it's hydro locking. I doubt he bent a rod on a 300 6 with his starter motor. I have seen bent rods on a SBC when the engine was hydro locked and the guys tried to Pull Start it by towing it behind another truck and popping the clutch.. OUCH

It will be interesting to see what happens when he pulls the plugs...

I drove a small block 400 chev for months with a cracked head.. just tried to turn it over and let it hydro lock, then wait 10 seconds and try again... another 10 seconds.. kept trying until the water either seeped past the rings, or the pressure pushed the water back through the crack. Worst part was having to keep adding water a few times a week because the crack was allowing combustion gasses to ecape into the cooling system, and the radiator cap would allow the excess pressure to blow off into the reservoir...overflowing that.

PeteOz77 said:
I doubt he bent a rod on a 300 6 with his starter motor.

My 4.2 snapped a rod when it happened to me. I dont know if it is the rods they used in those motors or the starter is that beefy but it is not uncommon.

sorry shoulda posted that it was a 1990 straight six and i did have a problem last fall with a freeze plug rusting out and after i was detecting a whiff of antifreeze while running. why i said i shoulda known it would happen:(

talked to my mechanic today and he said bout $200 for him to do the swap :rockin:

eriktlupus said:
sorry shoulda posted that it was a 1990 straight six and i did have a problem last fall with a freeze plug rusting out and after i was detecting a whiff of antifreeze while running. why i said i shoulda known it would happen:(

talked to my mechanic today and he said bout $200 for him to do the swap :rockin:

$200 is definitly worth it not to deal with the BS. Good deal

I say why did you park it over winter in the first place? Throw a couple sandbags in the bed and you have no slippery snow issues whatsoever.

The 300ci Ford sixes are generally good engines. I don't know why it would lock just from sitting a few months, but pulling the spark plugs will allow you to determine if it's a hydrolock or something else.

PeteOz77 said:
So have you pulled the plugs to see if it will turn over? this might be a very cheap fix.... Spend 15 minutes and let us know.
I wouldnt call it a fix. You still need to find where the water is weeping into the cylinder and fix it.

Virtuous said:
I wouldnt call it a fix. You still need to find where the water is weeping into the cylinder and fix it.

Who said it was a "fix"?:confused:

You can't fix it until you know what's wrong with it. And you figure that out by troublshooting.

Steps in toublshooting:
If you have a big breaker bar and socket that fits The bolt that goes through the harmonic balancer and into the front of the crankshaft, see if you can turn it over by hand.

If yes:
Check Battery and connections
It's a Ford, so you can jump across the starter solenoid easily to eliminate that from the equation

If No:
Pull the plugs and see if water comes out. (Make sure to number the plug wires for easy reintallation)

PeteOz77 said:
So have you pulled the plugs to see if it will turn over? this might be a very cheap fix.... Spend 15 minutes and let us know.

Sorry, I read that as evacuating the fluid from the cylinders will fix yah.

I would second a bad solenoid. I had an '86 1/2 ton with a straight six and used to always carry a spare one with me. Also second turning the crank by hand and taking the plugs out. If it really was seized from sitting a good squirt of Kerosene down the plug holes for a few days might free it up.

I'd be a bit shocked if a 300 went bad from just sitting around. Mine seemed to have an autoimmune disorder and rejected all of its oil. After looking at all the usual suspects, I finally took the motor out. Low and behold when I took the pistons out little pieces of rings fell all over the floor with magic jingling noises. It would take / burn / blow out 6 quarts in 10 miles before I fixed it.... but it still ran strong despite the horrific blowby. I think that thing could have run on kerosene. New rings and bearings and it was only slightly stronger than before, without the oil spewing out and smoking. This is a VERY easy engine to work on. Very cakey. Surprised it wasn't a military application.... or maybe in tractors :rolleyes:. Sad day when Ford ended them.

diagnoses was done this weekend

engine turned over with a bar on the pulley nut
turned out the solenoid on the starter was bad
80 bones later had it swapped out and running
thanks for the advise guys i agree that the 300
is an awesome powerplant that you almost have
to want to kill to stop it

Good Stuff!!!

Was pretty sure the engine being seized would have been nearly impossible.

You probably could have grabbed a solenoid from an Auto Wrecker for $20 and put it on yourself, but either way, $80 is a relief eh? ;)

Laurel said:
I say swap in a 350. Of course I'm a little biased. ;)

Almost right, a 351 of the Windsor variety:mug:

$200 is a damn good price, and not worth MY time swapping them:D

$80 for that solenoid? I remember them being $17.95 6 or 7 years ago. Are they made of oil now :rolleyes:?

Keep an extra one handy in the glove box and when in a pinch remember a screwdriver can jump the two posts to turn the starter over for ya.

Back