Sierra Nevada ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeropolis

Reaction score
Anyone try this? Found this on the shelf last night. I was excited to try it especially after the last seasonal of SN's I had--Celebration Ale. Pretty good stuff. I still have yet to be disappointed by SN.

Beeropolis said:
Anyone try this? Found this on the shelf last night. I was excited to try it especially after the last seasonal of SN's I had--Celebration Ale. Pretty good stuff. I still have yet to be disappointed by SN.

Yes it is very good, picked a 6 pack and Bev Mo and LOVE it. Way better than Red Hook.

This was the only time I've been dissapointed with Sierra Nevada. As a caveat however, I'm not saying this is a terrible beer, quite the opposite, it's a very drinkable beer. The problem I had is it's kind of dull. Sierra Nevada is all about hops and balanced malts, and this was a very light, less flavorful, and less hoppy beer than I'm used to from them. Perhaps this is their attempt at getting into the BMC market? Or is the hop shortage finally hitting the big guys of craft brewing? I'm not sure what happened here, particuarlly after their Celebration, which next to DFH 60 minute and Nevada's own Anniversary Ale, is one of my favorites. I guess nothing ventured nothing gained, but I'm going to see if there's any more Celebration on my liquor store shelves...

mike

I agree, it's not bad at all, but I actually think Red Hook has a fuller flavor. Not so sure about why they wrote "Early Spring Beer" on the label either...that could be misleading to the uninitiated as to what ESB stands for.

ScubaSteve said:
I agree, it's not bad at all, but I actually think Red Hook has a fuller flavor. Not so sure about why they wrote "Early Spring Beer" on the label either...that could be misleading to the uninitiated as to what ESB stands for.

Because Extra Special BITTER drives off the uninitiated. I've spoken to vendors who demo beer and wine and they say saying bitter turns people off. I saw people buying IPA's because they did not want a bitter beer.

ScubaSteve said:

The red hook I have been getting lately is BORING on the other hand the SN was nice and bitter with good flavor.

niquejim said:
Because Extra Special BITTER drives off the uninitiated. I've spoken to vendors who demo beer and wine and they say saying bitter turns people off. I saw people buying IPA's because they did not want a bitter beer.

Excellent point. Come to think of it, I guess I thought it would be bitter the first time I tried it. I'm drinking the SN ESB now, and I guess it probably does have more hop character than ESB. Still, as far as regular 'ol grocery store beer goes, Red Hook isn't bad :)

I purchased a case of SNPA last Saturday, both the OL and I noticed that this batch seems to be a bit lacking in SN's trademark hoppiness. Almost like the hops had been reused one too many times.
On a brighter note, SN Celebration 2007 is still available at BevMo. Better hurry tho.
AP

Back