Underhopped chimay clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matchak

Reaction score
I have a chimay Red clone that called for styrian goldings and some tettenanger hops, my homebrew store suggested I use hersbrucker instead. To cut a long story short, my brew is about 20IBUs short of where it should be and I'm thinking of dry hopping the secondary. Any ideas on upping the bitterness while staying fairly true to style?

Dry hopping won't increase the bitterness (though you probably know that). You could get increased bitterness a few ways. The simplest is to use isomerized alpha acid extract, e.g. http://morebeer.com/products/isohop-bitterness-extract-1-oz.html . That's just the bittering components of hops, in pure form, and a little goes a long way. It's expensive though, and you may not need it again. So more rough and ready solutions include making a small amount of bitter hop tea on your own. Take some hops, boil in water for 90 minutes, and after cooling, add that at bottling. You can experiment with proportions to get it to the desired bitterness. You could also make a small amount of much more bitter beer, and blend the two beers (a more complicated version of the hop approach).

motorneuron said:
Dry hopping won't increase the bitterness (though you probably know that). You could get increased bitterness a few ways. The simplest is to use isomerized alpha acid extract, e.g. http://morebeer.com/products/isohop-bitterness-extract-1-oz.html . That's just the bittering components of hops, in pure form, and a little goes a long way. It's expensive though, and you may not need it again. So more rough and ready solutions include making a small amount of bitter hop tea on your own. Take some hops, boil in water for 90 minutes, and after cooling, add that at bottling. You can experiment with proportions to get it to the desired bitterness. You could also make a small amount of much more bitter beer, and blend the two beers (a more complicated version of the hop approach).

Good one, hop tea it is. Cheers!

Back