Two Wire RTD PT100 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kdubbs

Reaction score
I am having problems wiring a two wire white and black PT100 RTD that I got from Brewers Hardware to a MyPin TA4. I have set the TA4 for the proper input. Just keep getting a ULLL for the temp reading.

I have attached the wiring diagram. Any help would be much appreciated.
MYPIN_TA4-.jpg

How are you connecting it?

I'm not familiar with this PID, but from the DWG you posted PIN 7 & 10 connect to one side of the RTD and 8&9 to the other side.

No problem. Keep in mind as it's a 2-wire RTD line resistance will effect the reading, so make sure you do some sort of calibration/verification just to be sure.

Thanks for the wiring configuration on this T4. this helped. I am using this for my freezer to lager. I have set the the set value to 34 degrees, the the thermocouple reads 46 degrees(in my garage which is about right ) .The freezer should turn on and nothing is happening. The manual is pathetic . Are there parameters i need to change other then the control direction to COOL ? Very frustrated. I wished i brought the most simplistic one.Please help.

I buy my RTD's from Auber Instruments and they are 3-wire...2 reds and 1 white. I use the TA4 and have never had a problem.

3-wire RTD's compensate for line resistance and do not usually suffer from the problems I mentioned with 2-wires.

Thanks for the wiring configuration on this T4. this helped. I am using this for my freezer to lager. I have set the the set value to 34 degrees, the the thermocouple reads 46 degrees(in my garage which is about right ) .The freezer should turn on and nothing is happening. The manual is pathetic . Are there parameters i need to change other then the control direction to COOL ? Very frustrated. I wished i brought the most simplistic one.Please help.

Please provide some details on how you have it wired now? Does the display indicate that the output is coming on, or no?

Thanks for your response. I wired the 2 wire thermocouple PT100( two identical black wires) to #7 an 8. And two wires that hop, as was described by you on a prior post. one for #7 to #10 , and #8 to #9. By doing the hops. I got a good temp reading. The (out) led light goes on like it should but the volt reading is about 11-12 volts. I also flipped the two thermo wires just to see ,and no change.

The My Pins are set up to switch an SSR. So you need to install an SSR and use it to turn on and off the positive leg of your 115 VAC line. That should get you going. If you look at the supplied DWG of the wiring diagrams at the top they are specifically calling for SSR's on the TA-4 drawing. Hope this helps.

Wheelchair Bob

Back