Pipeline

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhCrap

Reaction score
Weh hey I got my pipeline started
I didn't brew my 2nd batch till I drank nearly all of 1st :( BUT I'm bottling my third batch, after 3 wks in primary, on Friday just when my 2nd batch is 3 weeks in bottles. and brewing next batch on Saturday. After that I'm going to partial mash or biab :)
Beer : 1 is good, 2 is better, 3 is enough but 4 isn't half enough dde1c

Good deal! I'm working on a pipeline myself. Just got my Amber Ale bottled, got an "American Light" in the primary. The worst part, no home brew ready to drink.
I'm worrying like CRAZY over here!

Hahaha, what do you have going in your pipeline?

Now comes pipeline step 2. (didn't know there was a step 2 did you?)

emergency crap.
take $50-$60 to your LHBS or sit at the computer with your online supplier of choice.

pick up:
a backup hydrometer
a backup thermometer (even if you have a metal dial one)
a couple packs of wide use dry yeast
a pound of priming sugar
6oz of any bittering hop 8-11%
6oz of any noble hop 4-5%
a small bag of caps
2 3lb bags of DME, you're not buying a batch now. light or exra light works with everything, dark is nice to have on hand too, just close your eyes and grab.

this will fix 90% of problems that come along later, just rotate the stuff occasionally.

amandabab said:

emergency crap.
take $50-$60 to your LHBS or sit at the computer with your online supplier of choice.

pick up:
a backup hydrometer
a pound of priming sugar
a small bag of caps
2 3lb bags of DME, you're not buying a batch now. light or exra light works with everything, dark is nice to have on hand too, just close your eyes and grab.

this will fix 90% of problems that come along later, just rotate the stuff occasionally.

Oh crap, I forgot about the ingredient pipeline :( nah I've get to the LHBS on my work route once a week :)

Getzinator said:
Good deal! I'm working on a pipeline myself. Just got my Amber Ale bottled, got an "American Light" in the primary. The worst part, no home brew ready to drink.
I'm worrying like CRAZY over here!

Hahaha, what do you have going in your pipeline?

I have a golden ale (was racked on oak chips) conditioning and a pils style beer ready to bottle. Im brewing A blonde On saturday (my 1st brew only slight changes) and I'm planning orfy's hob goblin clone for 1st partial :) I have one in my hand now

going to have my pipeline started this weekend. I have 10 gallons of Apflewein bottled and ready, I have my IPA dry hopping right now and bottling it this weekend. Then I have a 10 gallon batch planed for this weekend.

Got 10 gallons of my MO SMaSH about to get kegged. My wee heavy and old ale are still in process. I have one partial keg of the first batch of the MO SMaSH on tap now as well as my dark cream ale along with my English Brown ale carbonating (the other keg of that kicked last night). The one open spot in the brew fridge is reserved for a keg of the fresh MO SMaSH. I have three other kegs in reserve right now. Plus I'm brewing next weekend (6 gallons to kegs). Not sure if that will be my caramel cream ale or mocha porter.

For ingredients I'd get at least a pound, or two, of hops, at least a packet or two of your more common yeast (what YOU like to use), 1-3# of DME for starters and enpugh grain(s) to make most of your batches. There's something comforting knowing that you have over 200# of base malt in inventory as well as enough other grains for most of your recipies. :D

I have been homebrewing for only about 6 months now and finally have a viable pipeline of brew coming along. Seems that in order to keep my pipeline full I have to have one beer in the fermenter at all times and bottle a 5 gal batch about once every 3 weeks.

Thought I had a pipeline going until family party at Easter when my family drained my keg of Wit!

I'm still trying to get the pipeline rolling. My first beer was bust, but finally whittled it down, 2nd beer was awesome, but its almost gone. 3rd beer is in bottles (done at end of month) and 4th beer is in fermenter. Once I bottle the 4th batch, I'm going to start my fifth a week later.

I'm Moving January of next year, so I'm wondering when I should quit brewing. I might try to squeeze a couple of quick fermenting beers in towards the end of my time here.

Come to think of it I just got me a pipeline going I guess. I just started about 2 months ago. My first batch is done, It's almost all gone, I brewed a second batch about 2 weeks ago, and I just brewed my third batch yesterday. This hobby is addicting.

Also, I started out with zero non-twist off bottles a couple months ago and now I'm at around 100. haha.

Kevin

Getting a pipeline going is important so you don't drink up all of your brew and also so you are not tempted to drink brew that is too young.

The easiest way is to brew more than you drink..........

Pick another fermenter or three and keep them filled, so something is always ready to be bottled. I have 4 main fermenters that are almost always filled. I also have a 5th one that I use exclusively for Belgians that need a lot more time. I like variety so this gives me plenty of different brews to choose from. I usually have about 5 different brews in the fridge at any given time. I rotate them out so the are not always the same 5.

emergency crap.

pick up:
a backup hydrometer
a pound of priming sugar
a small bag of caps

Where was this post when I needed it?? Brilliant! Aside from my abundance of inaccurate thermometers, I've encountered every one of those oh-**** moments! :mug:

Getting the pipeline going is hard. I've been brewing for a month and a half now. 1st brew was incredible and its gone, 2nd not so good 3rd was a stout that needs more time, 4th bottled last week, 5-6 are in secondary and 7 is in the primary. Not to mention 1 batch of cider bottled that needs to age, 2 more batches in secondary and a lemon mead thats aging for another month or 2

I have all this beer around and not much is ready to drink yet :( ... but soon :tank:

You've only been brewing for a month and a half and have 10 beers underway already?! You're a rock star...

I started out with a Mr Beer as a Christmas present from my wife. I did 4 batches in there before "graduating" to 5 gallon, all grain batches due to the fact that I was drinking them faster than I could make them. I now am running out of bottles to fill and places to put them which is the best kind of problem I can think a beer-lover like me could have. My Vienna/Northen Brewer SMaSH is just now ready to drink and I have a Cream Ale that gets bottled in a few days, then I'm going to brew a California Common in a week.

Sorry for being a noob, but... What is a SMaSH?

Also BearPusher is a brewing machine of epic proportions. What size batches are you brewing, and how often?

No apologies needed! It is a beer made using a Single Malt and Single Hop. You really get a feel for what each grain and hop tastes like that way.

Makes so much sense! I would really love to get into that sort of thing. Now is that something that an extract brewer like me could do, or do I have to wait for an AG upgrade for that?

Makes so much sense! I would really love to get into that sort of thing. Now is that something that an extract brewer like me could do, or do I have to wait for an AG upgrade for that?

It's usually considered an AG thing BUT, you can definitely learn a lot about your hops by using a single variety of hop with your choice of extract...SEASH? :drunk:

edit: I just noticed that you are a "member member" and that the above was post number 69...

It's usually considered an AG thing BUT, you can definitely learn a lot about your hops by using a single variety of hop with your choice of extract...SEASH? :drunk:

edit: I just noticed that you are a "member member" and that the above was post number 69...

Makes sense. Extract is most likely a multi-malt product anyway. I'll get there one day with the experimental brewing.:fro:

Re:edit: Hahaha yeah, total coincidence there, but I thought it had more character than just "Junior Member"

Took me 2 batches before I realized I need to start a pipeline so I never run dry again.I have in my fridge now a dark,amber, and IPA. All were 23litre batches, the IPA and Amber is almost gone. I have bottle conditioning a lager, and a weitbier which should be ready in a couple weeks. Brewing a cerveza and stout (to cellar until fall) this weekend.Running out of space:)

Back