Consistently low FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SONICYOUTH

Reaction score
Nearly every batch I've done, no matter the OG (which range anywhere from 1.04 to 1.07) all finish between 1.001 and 1.008. I'm not so much concerned as I am interested in why this happens when the higher OG I was expecting to finish around 1.010 ish. I use Wyeast American ale by the way.

Possible wild yeast or bacteria? I know 1056 can be a beast but 1.070 to 1.008 is almost 90%!!! Plus, it's a little strange to get such low FG no matter what the OG. But unless it's putting you out of style or tastes funny, I agree that it's more interesting than worrisome.

It is technically putting me out of style, which is really the only reason Im at all worried about it.

Have you checked your equipment to make sure you are getting accurate readings? How are you measuring the gravity? If hydrometer have you checked it in distilled water at 60F to see if it reads true, and do you correct for temp? Are you using a refractometer and using it for FG readings as those can be off by quite a bit.

Have you checked your equipment to make sure you are getting accurate readings? How are you measuring the gravity? If hydrometer have you checked it in distilled water at 60F to see if it reads true, and do you correct for temp? Are you using a refractometer and using it for FG readings as those can be off by quite a bit.

This. Also, are you doing all grain? If so what temps are you mashing at and how sure are you of the accuracy of your thermometer?

I actually figured out the issue. I had checked my hydrometer for accuracy with tap water and it tested at 1.000, but I had gotten a new one and it's about .0026 off. BOOM, styles hit.

Back