Pilsner Urquell Clone might go down the drain!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blefferd

Reaction score
so i made a Pilsner Urquell Clone about 7 weeks ago, i put it in a keg this weekend and set the PSI to 20 to set the lid etc. and let it sit well last night i poured a glass and it has a very stong butterie flavor! ugh i hate the butter taste lol i couldnt even finish the glass! I did a dicetal rest for 24 hours but i guess i didnt let it sit long enough!

think the strong flavor will fall out with time or should i just dump it because it makes me want to puke!

Sounds like your diacetyl rest was completely ineffective. All is not lost since it's in a keg. Take it out of the fridge, pull up the ring on the relief valve, and let it sit at room temperature for a few days. If you're worried about leaving the relief valve open, cover it with a bit of aluminum foil.

wouldnt all the bad tasting yeasties fall to the bottom of the keg and eventually be sucked out the tap and into my glass?

blefferd said:
wouldnt all the bad tasting yeasties fall to the bottom of the keg and eventually be sucked out the tap and into my glass?
There won't be much yeast at all that precipitates out. Even if there were a bit of yeast at the bottom of the keg, it would disappear after the first few pints.

Consider the alternative...buttery, gross beer.

By taking the keg out of the fridge, and releasing the pressure are you just doing another diacetyl rest?

homebrewer_99 said:
I don't do AG, but I understand the rest has to be done at room temp that's why you're taking it out of the cold. :D

A diacytel rest has to do with the lager fermenting process and nothing to do with AG brewing (unless you're brewing an all grain lager ;-)

You might be confusing it with a protein rest?

knipknup said:
I pour out the real stuff. I can't imagine a clone being any better...
Which is exactly why you should try brewing one. The imported stuff is almost always stored poorly, light-struck, and arrives at your door ruined. The "signature skunk" flavor of most import lagers has become a hallmark for "good beer," when, in reality, it's a by-product of a multitude of bad practices. True to style, a Bohemian lager should taste like an American macro-lager with a bit more hop bitterness and aroma, and some real malt flavor - a winner in my book.

Bobby_M said:
A diacytel rest has to do with the lager fermenting process and nothing to do with AG brewing (unless you're brewing an all grain lager ;-)

You might be confusing it with a protein rest?
I can see where I would get them mixed up, but still the diacytl is at room temp, right?

As an extract brewer I skip that part...;)

I always understood the diacetyl rest to be done at 65-68 F for a day or two before putting the beer down for lagering. That's what I did for the Vienna I did and it turned out quite well.

well from what i have read a Pilsner Urqurell isnt even supposed to get a dicetal rest! i cant hack the taste of it so i pulled the keg out of the freezer for 3 days like suggested above. (i tried a glass yesterday and could still taste it not as bad though) im just going to let it lager for 9-10 weeks and see if that gets rid of it!

What were your pitching and fermentation temperatures? How much yeast did you pitch? If you pitched warm and didn't cool it down fast enough, or didn't pitch enough yeast, no amount of diacetyl rest may get rid of the taste.

I'm using the method Jamil talked about in his Bohemian Pils show from a couple of weeks ago. I pitched 400+/- billion cells at 46F. I then let fermentation raise my temp to 50 and it has been there since. With this method, a diacetyl rest isn't necessary.

When you pulled you keg from the lagering fridge. Did you open the relase valve so the dicytel had some where to go? Did you account for the time it would take the beer to get to the 65F+ range? It should sit for at least 48 hours above 65F.

Back