Don't use Deschutes Bottles!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundsandsuds

Reaction score
Tonight I was going through my backlog of bottles that still had labels on them and giving them an Oxyclean soak and de-labelling.

When I removed the first Deschutes label and looked at it there was a noticeably large (about 1/4" in diameter) bubble in the glass.
Out of the 6 pack that I cleaned there were 4 that had largish bubbles in the glass. That's a recipe for bottle bombs!
I love Deschutes beer and will continue to drink it. I won't be saving the bottles any more, though.

Aren't those the ones with hop vines raised off the glass? I use them all them time and have never noticed any problems.

It is a good idea to inspect any bottle you use though.

I use em all the time. Never had problems. I never chked about bubbles though. The only thing I hate about them is the labels don't come off as easily as other brands :)

And I believe their Black Butte is bottled conditioned. So... that would leave me to believe they would be ok

I use Sierra Nevda bottles for competition, Deschutes and Widmer for home consumption. ( IF I DON'T KEG ) I have never had a problem with the bottles.

Too many judges have noted when I've used Sierra Nevada type stubbies. I'm certain the best presentation for judging is in a unmarked longneck.

Agreed somewhat - although it seems they are starting to be more recognized in comps. Hell, I think this (2010) was the first year NHC allowed bottles like SN, Redhook, Deschutes, etc...

The best part about Deschutes bottles is that they come filled with Black Butte. Even if they did blow up from time to time, what's the down side?:D

have you had any of the other aldi's beers? i've been curious for years, but stuff at aldi's is pretty good or absolutely crap.

The only other one I have had was some corona knock off...Monterey maybe...terrible...just terrible. It was so light I dont know if it would be recognized as beer with a blindfold...it makes bud taste bold...not kidding.

The pils tho is from genuine german brewery and I like it...nice and crisp with a nice bitterness....its my goto beer when the keg is floated.

I have bottled hundreds of beers in 12 oz. Deschutes bottles and have never had a problem. Plus I find that their labels are some of the easiest to take off. A 5 min. soak in hot water and they peel right off.

Of course being 5 min. from the brewery doesn't hurt either ;)

The only other one I have had was some corona knock off...Monterey maybe...terrible...just terrible. It was so light I dont know if it would be recognized as beer with a blindfold...it makes bud taste bold...not kidding.

The pils tho is from genuine german brewery and I like it...nice and crisp with a nice bitterness....its my goto beer when the keg is floated.

thanks. i'll have to pick up a six pack and give it a try. :mug:

Back