acceptable % of candi syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saccharomycetaceae

Reaction score
Hey,
I've seen a number of posts regarding candi syrup here, but I am wondering what the maximum acceptable percentage of of candi syrup in a dubbel and a quad. would be before things get weird.
Thanks a lot.
cheers

I've read articles saying that some famous Belgian brews use up to 20%, although that is at the top end. Also, they often use just regular sugar if they don't need/want to affect the color much (or at all).

I'm not sure...but beet sugar and cane sugar are both just sucrose and the candi process inverts them and creates some nice flavors/aromas through Maillard reactions. I can't see why there'd be any noticeable differences in performance or flavor whether you use beet or cane, but then again...I can't say that with absolute confidence not having done much experimentation with it.

Most belgian candi sugar is made from beet sugar and not cane sugar correct?

Beets and sugarcane yield the same sugar. Beet sugar's more common in Europe because beets are easier to raise there, but the end result is identical.

The big thing that contributes to the flavor and color of Belgian candi syrup is the caramelization. There are some threads on here about making your own at home (you do need to add some acid to get inversion).

I've made candi syrup with both beet and cane sugar, and I can say that they don't act the same. the beet sugar gets much darker given the same circumstances, and takes on a slightly less fruity taste, where as the cane sugar refuses to darken as much, and tastes like liquefied dark plums.

Back