Two yeasts, one beer....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jzak09

Reaction score
I was thinking of usining two 5 gallon carboys each filled with 2.5 gallons of wort and using two different yeasts (ringwood and Nottingham). Anyone run into problems doing this or have any ideas?

It's a good way to verify what each yeast can do. Just be careful when you add the yeasts, so you don't get some in each fermenter. If you re-hydrate the Notty that would eliminate the problem.

Unless you know the true characteristics of each yeast I would bottle them seperatly. Enjoy them, then if you feel it would make a nice mixture, open two, pour half of each in a glass.

Would that not defeat the purpose?

Thats what I was going to ask. You would be wasting money. If you liked it, you wouldn't be able to tell what characteristics came from which yeast. Also, you will never know if it would have tasted better with a single strain. Bottle them separately, then blend afterwards if you are so inclined.

I guess you need to tellus why you are wanting to do this. It doesn't make sense if your gonna combine it at bottling. We are all assuming it is to see what kind of different beers are produced

WLP080 is mixed ale/lager yeasts. I just did a starter for the SMASH I'm doing tomorrow - not sure how it'll end up.

Also with such small volumes you want to pay attention to over-pitching and under-pitching yeast. With average gravity I'd go with a 1L starter or 1/2 dry yeast pack for each fermenter.

Back