Southern Ohio First Year Hops - First Harvest (Pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walnut_Hills

Reaction score
Greetings all:

This past March I planted some hops rhizomes I ordered from Puterbaugh Farms. I planted Cascade, Cluster, and a Northern Brewer rhizome I got from the Thyme Garden. I couldn't be happier with the rhizomes I got from Puterbaugh. My Cascades grew to the top of the 15' trellis I built for them, and the Clusters outgrew their trellis, too. Anyways, I picked some hops today, thought I'd share some pictures of what we got. There are still a few on the bines that aren't quite ready, so I'll do another picking here soon.

Cascades
Cascades.jpg

Cluster
Cluster.jpg

Though I forgot to weigh them beforehand, I'll let you all know the weight of my harvest once it's dry.

The aroma on the Cascades certainly isn't as strong as I thought it would be. I'm assuming this has to do with them being first year cones - is that right?

I've got a boat load of first year cascades still on the bine, mine don't have much aroma so I was going to let them hang out a little longer, maybe brown a little.

I've got a boat load of first year cascades still on the bine, mine don't have much aroma so I was going to let them hang out a little longer, maybe brown a little.

I am in the same situation and the thing is just going crazy right now with all the growth on the lower portion.

Many of my Cascade cones are quite small. There are a few bigger cones, and they seem to have much more aroma than those small ones. I figured they were ready to pick because the tips were beginning to brown, they sprung back to shape when squeezed, and they felt papery to the touch. I probably picked too early, eh? Oh well, the first year was just for experimentation anyways.

I have no doubt the Clusters are ready, I had many of those turning brown and falling off. I'm much more impressed with the vigor of the Clusters I planted more so than the Cascades.

Back