kegging question from a kegging noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RootvonRoot

Reaction score
hello all - been brewing for a couple years but this is my first attempt at kegging - i'm using a 5g corney ... i kegged my hefeweisen at 38-40 deg F for about a week at 10-12 lbs and now i tried the beer and it's about half the carbonation i was looking for - i'll be serving the brew tomorrow so i have the keg on ice (no refridgeration at my place for kegs) and the pressure at about 25lbs

is that a good plan to get the approx carb i need for tomorrow or is it a crap shoot?

curious what you senior keggors think?

I'm fairly new to kegging too, but I've been told that shaking the keg is the best way to go. I've had good luck with it, so give it a shot.

That might give you uncarbonated beer with lots of foam.

At a week at 38 degrees and 12 psi, it should be pretty well carbed. I'm unsure as to why it's still so undercarbonated. Was it at 38 degrees the entire week?

Carbonation tables are temperature dependent. If the kegs are cold, they should absorb the co2 more easily. I assume that since it's on ice, that the kegs are still in the 38 degree range, so if you have the psi at 25 psi, it should be carbed up pretty well by morning.

it was at 38-40 deg F all week (at a friend's house who was monitoring it for me)
and it does have carb - just seems to be about 1/2 carbed...

i'll test it in the morning i supposed

thank you!

FWIW - it's the next morning now so i tested my brew and it's carbed nicely ... on ice at 25lbs overnight worked for me

a hefe should be about 18lbs at 40degrees for proper carb after a week.. Sounds like you are all set tho!

FWIW - it's the next morning now so i tested my brew and it's carbed nicely ... on ice at 25lbs overnight worked for me

Glad to hear it!

I'm also quite proud of you, sucking it up and drinking beer at 8:30 AM, just to ensure proper carbonation. Way to go!

That sounds about right to me actually. It takes a touch over 2 weeks to hit the chart volumes if you don't do anything to the keg. Since you waited a week, half way sounds right. Overnight at twice the pressure of the chart is probably the equivalent to a couple days at the normal pressure. I'd love to do some experimenting to find out exactly what the relationship is but I'd have to use water because it will require a lot of waiting around.

Back