What is Bell's Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPicasso

Hackbrewer extraordinaire
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm interested in knowing how one would classify Bell's Porter.

I like it a lot and would like to start brewing variations of it but don't know what recipes to compare it to. Its' malty with a distinct hop flavor. Would it be classified as a Robust porter? Brown porter? Baltic Porter? Que es?

From Bells' Website:
A robust porter for all occasions. A blend of dark malts give this beer flavors of coffee and chocolate with subtle roasted notes.Gold medal winner in the Brown Porter category.

Kinda confusing with them mentioning "robust" but if it medaled in the Brown Porter category that would be the BJCP style guideline i would try to follow.

Some Additional Info:
Their medal was from the world beer cup which uses a different set of standards than most homebrew competitions.
Additionallym from their website they list the OG as 1.055, which is slightly higher than the 1.040-1.052 range listed in the BJCP for 12A Brown Porter.
BJCP for Robust porter is 1.048-1.065 and is listed as a "classic commercial example" for the style:
12B Robust Porter Commercial Examples: Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, Meantime London Porter, Anchor Porter, Smuttynose Robust Porter, Sierra Nevada Porter, Deschutes Black Butte Porter, Boulevard Bully! Porter, Rogue Mocha Porter, Avery New World Porter, Bell’s Porter, Great Divide Saint Bridget’s Porter

So for homebrew purposed it's really a midstrength robust porter according to BJCP. However, it seems that, (at least the competitions i've entered) the beers that seem to do well are right at the higer edges of the style guides. At least for things like Porter, IPAs, and APAs especially in the American vain (Beer Advocate lists it as an "American Porter").

Hope it's nothing like Bell's Palsy!

No doubt! Talk about an engineering failure.
Imagine, if you will, having to drink through a straw for ~6 mo cos you can't get your mouth to conform to the rim of a glass or lip of a bottle. I still drool a bit more than a year later.
On the bright side, I did get to wear an eyepatch for nearly 7 months.

No doubt! Talk about an engineering failure.
Imagine, if you will, having to drink through a straw for ~6 mo cos you can't get your mouth to conform to the rim of a glass or lip of a bottle. I still drool a bit more than a year later.
On the bright side, I did get to wear an eyepatch for nearly 7 months.

Good friend of mine had a case of that a few years ago. He was miserable. Driving for him was a biatch, too. Thankfully, it corrected itself.

Back