Need help diagnosing my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DD2000GT

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I noticed a white-ish ring around the insides of the bottles of a Williams Holiday Ale kit I brewed on 11/6. My first though was a dreaded infection even though I have never had one before in 10 years of brewing and I am religous on sanitation. Here is a thread I posted with pics:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/first-possible-infection-89769/

So - I keg about 6 Grolsh flip top bottles and keg the rest. That way I can sample the bottles to let me know when to refridgerate the keg. I have been monitoring my keg pressure with a gauge to let me know how carbonation is going and the last few days the pressure has risen unusually quick. I normally see anywhere between 15-25 psi (I prime my kegs to conserve the CO2 bottle) and this batch has jumped to 35 psi and still rising.

I am guessing I do have an infection and it is eating the non-fermentable sugars - any thoughts? Weird thing was I tried a bottle a about a week ago and it seemed fine(?) OG was 1.060 and FG was 1.016, and this batch used honey if it matters.

I would appreciate any thoughts on what is going on.

Time will tell. I would not let that keg pressure get too high as you will over carbonate. The Grolsch bottles are a good indicator of what is in the keg so if they turn into gushers then you most likely have a bug in the beer.

Hey you, did you ever taste the Grolsh's? Or oopen one ot see if they gush...if they do then probably you are right about what's happenning in the keg.

Yes - it was in my original post :)

The Grolsh bottle tasted fine with no odd off flavors or overcarbonation when I tried it last week (but was still pretty green) - but this jump in keg pressure has only happened within the past few days.

I'm wondering if you kicked off some additional fermentation. Ending at 1.016 with honey in a recipe is suspect to me. Especially if your OG was 1.060.

I have to agree, depending on the amount of honey you had, it would extend the beer fermentation time, and also lower the FG and make it much drier. Is it possible that the beer is just slowly finishing up the honey and becoming more of a braggot? By racking early (Needed the large carboy) I have had some braggots extend their fermentation time up to over month.

I'm wondering if you kicked off some additional fermentation. Ending at 1.016 with honey in a recipe is suspect to me. Especially if your OG was 1.060.

I have never used honey before - so that is very possible. However, a FG of 1.016 from an OG of 1.060 is about 73% attenuation - which is fairly high for the liquid yeast I used, so I did not think much of it.

I guess I will try anoth tomorrow and make sure there is no gushing or sour taste.

Back