DIY Fermenting chest build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

germanicus81

Reaction score
I've learned so much from trolling these forums over the years, I thought I should show off some of the stuff I have built using tips learned from this awesome forum.

I was having trouble keeping my brews at manageable fermenting temps because my apartment does not have AC during the summer and can reach temps of 95 deg. easily. So I did what any self-respecting engineer would do- built a custom box to keep my precious brews fermenting all year round.

Here is a shot of the base and window AC unit being installed:
resized_IMG_1203.JPG

Here is a shot showing the walls and insulation going together:
resized_IMG_1205.JPG

And here the wiring to the LOVE controller is being installed(I used a 4 outlet box so I could have one each tied to the heater and cooler output along with 2 120VAC outlets for any additional crazy ideas like stirplates):
resized_IMG_1236.JPG

And here is the completed fermenter- it has a side door for monitoring and normal access, with a top lid to help with accessing carboys further back:
resized_IMG_1242.JPG

Overall it can hold four 6.5 gallon carboys, I haven't yet checked to see how many cornys it can hold, but I've been slowly transitioning to corny fermentation. my guess is upwards of 6 cornys!

Nice looking build! But I hope you're planning on putting some A/C in for yourself, because that chamber is going to make the summer apartment heat even hotter. You may kick the carboys out and camp inside the chamber ;)

Cheers!

The fermenter is in the garage, so no added heat to the apartment proper. I have a window AC in my bedroom, but hate to turn it on too often because it adds about $50 to the electric bill. My solution is to relax in the garage during the summer heat- the keezer in the last photo now has 3 taps on it!

So you won't add $50 a month for your own comfort, but you will do it for your beer?

Thats a real man, nice build!

So you won't add $50 a month for your own comfort, but you will do it for your beer?

Thats a real man, nice build!

Well the fermenter only costs about $5 to run for a month, so yes I'll take an order of magnitude in savings!

How much do most people pay to heat/cool their houses anyway? My apartment is about $50 a month to heat in the winter, and I cannot cool the whole place during the summer using my one window AC unit- which is probably a good thing given the $50 per month for just the bedroom ;) !

Back