Yes 1 more yeast starter ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogtailale

Reaction score
Im sorry.

I have not yet made a starter. So far Ive been doing great, Get the wort down to 78 82 dg with immersion chiller put in fridge with a ranco 2 stage controller with brew heater. Killer bubbles within 4 hours every time.

Now for my ? so far Ive been making 5gl batches only. Got me a keg couple weeks ago so now I guess Ill be doing 10gl batches.
I know Ill be doubling my grains and hops per batch,
What about the yeast?

From what I understand but I think Im wrong..... This Is a example======== numbers are fictitious.

When I buy a pack of wyeast It contains 1,000,000 yeasties ( enough to do a 5gl batch) and then I make a starter with ( X ) amount of (?????) would I have 2,000,000 yeasties ________ enough to do a 10gl batch?

Without starter, according to Jamil's calculator, you would need 4 vials of yeast. With one vial/smack pack and a starter with shaking it every now and then, you would need almost 5L of starter. That is of course on a 1.048 beer. Higher OG, more yeast needed.

So here you go: No program savvy required.

If you can't figure out the calculator then I'd suggest that you make a 1 gallon starter a week or so before your brew, chill and decant. Then the night before the brew make another 1qt starter to wake the yeast up, then pitch the whole thing in to the brew.

That at a minimum is what I would do. I'll also suggest making or buying a stirplate, that will up the cell count in your starters considerably!

WOW
I just scanned over this link and now Im LOST. In that link Is says I need two smackpacks for one 5.25gl batch of brew 1.048 or larger to get proper cell count.

To this date the last 7 batches Ive brewed where all WAY over 1.048. (The few brew before Im not counting they were just add water kits) Ive only used one wyeast activator smackpack perbatch all brew came out GREAT.:confused:

WOW
I just scanned over this link and now Im LOST. In that link Is says I need two smackpacks for one 5.25gl batch of brew 1.048 or larger to get proper cell count.

To this date the last 7 batches Ive brewed where all WAY over 1.048. (The few brew before Im not counting they were just add water kits) Ive only used one wyeast activator smackpack perbatch all brew came out GREAT.:confused:

Just imagine how much better they will come out when you start pitching the proper amount of yeast! :mug:

Underpitching can cause off-flavors from stressed yeast or even give you a stuck fermentation.

If you slide that Growth Factor bar on the bottom of the calculator all the way to the right, you can get to making a starter with only one vial/packet.

Alternatively, you could start using dry yeast and just pitch multiple packets.

Without starter, according to Jamil's calculator, you would need 4 vials of yeast. With one vial/smack pack and a starter with shaking it every now and then, you would need almost 5L of starter. That is of course on a 1.048 beer. Higher OG, more yeast needed.

So here you go: No program savvy required.

:D Nice link.

Wyzazz

Im agreeing with you and others this is just a new chapter in this hobby that heard about but never really opened. ITS open now.

later this weekend Ill be making one of those stirplates
computer fan, radioshack reostate, Hard drive magnets,

But were do I get one of those stir things that goes in the flask without paying 7.99 shipping

Wyzazz

Im agreeing with you and others this is just a new chapter in this hobby that heard about but never really opened. ITS open now.

later this weekend Ill be making one of those stirplates
computer fan, radioshack reostate, Hard drive magnets,

But were do I get one of those stir things that goes in the flask without paying 7.99 shipping

I'm afraid that the stirbars are going to be expensive any way you cut it, try your LHBS or a local lab supply, either that or wait until you order something else from an online supplier.

WOW

I brewed for years with just using one vial or smack pack. I never had any problems that I could detect, back then, that I could attribute to yeast underpitching. I will occasionally forget about my starter still and pitch only one pack. Of course I only seem to forget when I have a fresh pack. If I have an old one I always prep a few days in advance to step up my starters.

Plenty of people pitch without starters and make great beer. If you want to get the best beer you possibly can, you should always make up a starter for liquid yeasts. Of course we all are not in this to please others, so if it works for you there is little reason to change.

Wyzazz

The stir thing is called a stir bar. ;-) And I would spend the couple bucks and probably buy this one. I currently got a Teflon coated one from cynmar, but they require a minimum of a $25 purchase. Also if you get one of the football shaped ones, your probably going to hear a lot of noise in your flask, so I would recommend putting a small rubber gasket from a corny keg over the stir bar to cut down on the noise.

Back