Any Ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluespook

Reaction score
The wife and I just returned from a trip to Alabama (the land of illegal home brewing). On the way home, we stopped at a roadside stand so SWMBO could have some nice peach ice cream...and I found blackberry and muscadine ciders (not pasteurized). On a whim, I picked up a liter of each. A muscadine (never heard of it before this) is in the grape family, a bit larger, and isn't the most exciting thing I've ever put in my mouth (by far, actually). Anyway, anyone have any ideas on what I could do with these in a mead??

.....A muscadine (never heard of it before this) is in the grape family, a bit larger, and isn't the most exciting thing I've ever put in my mouth (by far, actually). Anyway, anyone have any ideas on what I could do with these in a mead??

I think I heard a song once about muscadine wine. I think it was by this guy Hank Williams Jr, ever hear of him?

Anyways...

The fresh grape is available in September and October like most American grown grapes. They make muscadine juice white or colored. They most frequently use scuppernong because they are one of the sweetest varities of muscadine.

IIRC Muscadine concentrate is one of the ingrediantes DFH Midas Touch (or the clone)

It's used in making desert wines as well...

Muscadines have been used for making commercial fine wines and port wines dating back to the 16th Century in and around St. Augustine, Florida. Today, vineyards throughout the Southeast produce muscadine wines of various qualities. The typical muscadine wine is sweet because vintners traditionally add sugar during the winemaking process; the wine is often considered a dessert wine although some drier varieties exist. The term scuppernong refers to a large bronze type of muscadine originally grown in North Carolina; it is also used in making wine, principally dry red table wine.

While not one of the most widely marketed varietals produced, the visibility of muscadine wine has benefited from the discovery that it appears to provide greater amounts of antioxidants than many better-known red wines. In particular, muscadine wines (both red and white) contain over five times more resveratrol than ordinary red wines: more than 40 mg/L compared to between 0.2 and 5.8 mg/L.

Because grape vines synthesize resveratrol as a defense, it has been claimed in sales literature that the use of pesticides greatly reduces the grape's resveratrol content; however, scientific studies either find no correlation between pesticide use and resveratrol, or find that pesticide use has only a weak effect.

Start adding honey till the gravity hits 1.090, then add nutrients, energizer, and some D-47, give it 4 or 6 ( or 19 or 12) months and you'll have a nice mead to share with SWMBO!

Thanks all--Scuppernong was also available, but, never having heard of it either, I decided to go with my gut which said that "scuppernong" was some German slang for some kind of really bad sh#t found at the bottom of some really nasty processing equipment...likely made of wood and very very old!

I think I'll go with the mead idea. BK seems to have good instincts about mead, most of the time. And, I'll go with 12 months, because, even though I'm an optimist, it's almost impossible for me to believe that anything 19 months out is a certainty.

Muscadine grapes make a good wine. I imagine it would make a good mead.

Welcome to San Sebastian Winery

Although, when I was there, the gentleman that I asked said that they had zero interest in making mead. Hmph.

I was at that winery 4 or 5 years ago. They put out some decent wine and the Vintners White/Red were a decent sweet table wine.

Off topic: If you get a chance try their Port. I was amazed and want to make some now!

I was at that winery 4 or 5 years ago. They put out some decent wine and the Vintners White/Red were a decent sweet table wine.

Off topic: If you get a chance try their Port. I was amazed and want to make some now!

I enjoy the vintner's red. And I did get a bottle of the port when I was down there. Sadly, it has been drunk.

Back