Beer cures many things

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiffybrew

Reaction score
:off:
They always say beer cures your troubles and worries. Also minor aches and pains...
Well i'm feeling under the weather, does beer also cure the cold?

I just take some JW Black for my colds knock them right out of there, but if I dont have any of that I just swig half a bottle of nyquil

Slight side note but at the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin they said Irish doctors used to perscribe Guinness to pregnant women for their aches/pains/sicknesses.

Hmm...

Hehe, I was just listening to a Jamil Show podcast last night and they were joking about making nyquil beer.

I had a terrible stomach ache the other night and some wendys and cold beer actually made me feel tons better.

daholl01 said:
Slight side note but at the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin they said Irish doctors used to perscribe Guinness to pregnant women for their aches/pains/sicknesses.

Hmm...

My sister is nursing and the doctor told her to drink a guinness a day to help keep the milk production up. Unfortunately he also said that more isn't better in this case:(

For colds, the trick is to drink so much that you drive your BAC high enough to kill any bacteria you've got floating around!

/Not sure if it really works like that though...

:off: Yuengling was allowed to brew porter during Prohibition to sell to pregnant women because it was so high in vitamins and nourishment (according to a tour of their brewery opened in 1829).

Significant amounts of alcohol actually reduce the body's immune response and could prolong an upper respiratory infection. A small amount (e.g., Nyquil) doesn't really have an effect, but nevertheless... take advantage of a cold to let your liver heal;)

Back