Just bottled...2 questions please!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mycoe

Reaction score
Hi all, I have literally just bottled my first ever cooper home brew lager kit... I have a couple of questions...
1. To get the last 10 or so bottles out I had to tip the 23l fermenting barrel, these last bottles seemed to come through with a lot of the sediment/ bits from the bottom, will these still be ok?
2. The cooper instructions now state to keep the bottles at a min of 18 degrees, is there a maximum temp? Could I put them in the airing cupboard??

Thanks in advance guys.

70F,or about 21C is the average room temp to carb & condition bottled beers. It'll be best at about 4 weeks with 1 week in the fridge from my experiences with it. All the yeast/trub will settle out,& by fridge time will be compacted on the bottom of the bottles.

#1 - they will probably be okay. There's a chance they might taste funny and you probably don't want to drink that stuff (pour slowly into a glass) but nothing that'll kill you.

#2 - I really wouldn't go about 23c (75f) - 70f is more ideal, in my opinion.

Hi all, I have literally just bottled my first ever cooper home brew lager kit... I have a couple of questions...
1. To get the last 10 or so bottles out I had to tip the 23l meeting barrel, these last bottles seemed to come through with a lot of the sediment/ bits from the bottom, will these still be ok?
2. The cooper instructions now state to keep the bottles at a min of 18 degrees, is there a maximum temp? Could I put them in the airing cupboard??

Thanks in advance guys.

They will be fine with sediment; it will settle out, as will the yeast. Just be careful when you pour these, so as to not disturb the sediment and get it in your glass (it can be bitter and/or make you gassy).

Honestly, you'll do best, bottling wise, if you keep the bottles at about 21 degrees (had to convert this out, should be equivalent to 70 degrees F). 70 degrees F for three weeks is the baseline for typical beers. Cooler temps or higher gravities can take longer.

The minimum temp is to help avoid the yeast going to sleep; if you put freshly bottled beer in the fridge, for instance, it will be extremely slow to carb up (if it ever does).

Rule of thumb is really just keep them at room temp for atleast 2 weeks. You can them put in fridge after that point. Those last bottles are fine, just put it in the fridge for a day before drinking for it to settle out and pour in a glass avoiding pouring the last little bit.

Nice site CBS. Too bad you're way up on 14th. Long ways for me,at least an hour. Dang. At least a week come fridge time will compact the trub in the bottles nicely. Not to mention,settle out any chill haze you may get.

Back