How to impart chocolate flavor on a sweet stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeknom366

Reaction score
I have read several recipes using either chocolate baking powder or cocoa powder for maybe a sweet chocolate stout. Others have mentioned using cocoa nibs as they are more effective and potent when adding the desired flavor. However, I have a couple brands of chocolate which are my absolute favorite: Graeter's and Ester Price.

So here's my question for making a chocolate stout - Is it worth using your favorite chocolate (more than likely in bars) to impart the flavor into your beer, or will in be indecipherable from using nibs, powder, or extract?

My general philosophy in cooking and brewing is that better ingredients are always going to shine through. I think especially if you're adding cocoa to secondary, where the yeast won't scrub too much of the flavor, it's worth trying the chocolate you like.

Then again, I've never brewed a beer with added chocolate, so I'll leave it to the experts.

IMO>>>DO NOT add Cocoa Powder to the secondary, from personal experience, it will end up tasting just like a spoon full of cocoa powder taste, even after 6+months I wrecked a great stout trying that.

You don't want the oils from chocolate bars in your brew ether.

I have not tried putting cocoa powder in the boil @ 10 till flameout yet, but I have heard good reviews on doing that, or cocoa nibs in the secondary or both for big chocolate taste.

Cheers :mug:

Chocolate bars=added oils, so no head when carbonated. If you're OK with that, proceed with your plan. If not, cocoa nibs or lots of chocolate malt would be options. With either, you may need to add extra lactose to backsweeten to offset the bitterness from the chocolate.

I made a stout with 8oz chocolate 4 oz black patent and 4 oz roasted barley for the roasty grains, it came out pretty chocolatey.

I've also had great success with liquor soaked cacao nibs in secondary, my favorite is to soak them in bourbon a few days before using them

8oz cocoa powder at the end of the boil works well too, downside is a lot of brown sludge in primary. Even after fermentation, the chocolate taste sustains

A pretty simple option is to brew with chocolate malt. I get a ton of chocolate flavor with about 7%.

I am still debating if I care enough about the head retention. However, if I wanted to keep the flavor of Graeter's or Ester Price chocolate in my beer, will it still show the unique flavor in the end or will it taste the same as a generic chocolate flavor?

Latest posts

Back