The HOBBIT......don't bother

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, 2 continuity issues I have. First is Orcs talking orcish or black tongue (hard to tell what he was doing there) they didn't do it in the original trilogy, then that's all they do in the Hobbit. Second is Jackson using Orcs and Goblins as 2 different creatures. Fully admit as a kid I thought there was a difference, because of the style of writing in the hobbit vs. LOTR, cause the Goblins couldn't go out at the day, etc. But Tolkien himself said that they're essentially the same if not identical. There's no reason to muddy the waters there, cause then you have to explain why Gandalf would call them Moria Orcs in LOTR but not the Hobbit. Just bad writing form there.

That stuff doesn't bother me too much. I saw the movie this weekend and enjoyed it, but I HATED the extreme action parts. I liked the additional story telling, which for the most part are trying to tie the two stories together. I just can't stand a 20 minute fight scene with like 5 different action sequences all tied together. I think I saw things that reminded me of about 5 different video game styles!

All in all it was a good movie, but I agree it's definitely not canon. They could have taken about 20-30 minutes out of the stupid, extreme, unbelievable, action sequences and either shorten the movie or put in some of the good stuff that was left out.

I think it would have been better as two movies. Making 3 was more than a stretch.

I'm still pissed about Tom Bombadil getting dropped :mad:

He didn't have much to do with the story at all. I can see why they left him out, but then again it could have taken very little time to put him in the movie and take out some of the extra fluff.

One of the eyeroll moments in the latest film is when the eagles airdropped Beorn into the battle...

or was I imagining that?

His version of LOTR wasn't too bad.... What he did to The Hobbit is unforgivable IMHO.

Yeah, that's kind of how I felt. I really enjoyed the first LoTR trilogy. It wasn't 100% faithful to the source material, but it was done well enough that I didn't mind so much.

The Hobbit trilogy has just been utterly disappointing for me. Too much unnecessary bullcrap added in, too many obnoxiously long overly-animated CGI action sequences. I feel like I'm watching a video game half the time, not a movie.

I feel like they could have taken the important scenes from each of the three movies, deleted all the extraneous crap, whittled-down the action sequences, and been left with one decent movie, instead of 3 crappy ones.

did you eat some Shire Shrooms before you went?

No, not even a toke of Longbottom.

They did drop a bear. Not for sure it was Beorn, but it was pretty big. I know it's a fantasy and all, but it sure looked like it was breaking a few laws of physics. (Though not as much as Legolas did when he was running up the falling bricks...)

I'm still pissed about Tom Bombadil getting dropped :mad:

I was a little disappointed about anything that was left out, but I can see why some things were omitted, like Tom Bombadil, the Barrow Downs, the Healing of Minas Tirith, etc...

They were all part of the story, but not really key elements; more like (dare I say it?) literary window dressing. Now the battle for the Shire was (I thought) an important part of the story. Five major characters, 1 dies, and a major historical event happens for the hobbits, most of whom never even knew there was a ring, or a war, or a dark lord. Then there's the healing of the shire. Again, I thought this was an important chapter, but I suppose it wasn't really crucial to the story. When you're trying to keep a movie under 3 hours in length, you have to make some cuts somewhere.

The Hobbit was just mutilated by Jackson. It really irritates me that he did that, but what I think is worse, there will be thousands, maybe millions of people who never read the book & will see the movie, thinking that is the story & it's NOT the story at all; not even close. Jackson did a good job on LOTR, and he produced District 9, which I thought was well done; but his version of the Hobbit is a lie.
Regards, GF.

I missed the barrow downs. Where they get some of the magical weapons that they use later on. Kind of a short sequence and could have been done with great effect if they had tried.

The shire scenes would have had to be be longer and maybe that why they left them out. I wish they would have put them in and cut out some of the action scenes.

I just remembered the WORST part of the new movie:

DUNE WORMS!

He didn't have much to do with the story at all. I can see why they left him out, but then again it could have taken very little time to put him in the movie and take out some of the extra fluff.

One of the eyeroll moments in the latest film is when the eagles airdropped Beorn into the battle...

or was I imagining that?

No you didn't imagine it. Nor did you not imagine the 7th Doctor riding an Eagle like a Nazgul rides a fell beast. Taking part in the events in Middle Earth despite his only interests being of the Animals and Earth (per Tolkien)

I'm fine with leaving out bombadil, I get it, it's pointless in the grand scheme, I take many more things as issues, like changing all of the characters. His changing of Faramir is the biggest crime against Tolkien JMO as he went from my favorite book character, to ****ing Boromir.

No, not even a toke of Longbottom.

They did drop a bear. Not for sure it was Beorn, but it was pretty big. I know it's a fantasy and all, but it sure looked like it was breaking a few laws of physics. (Though not as much as Legolas did when he was running up the falling bricks...)

It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Just saw Five Armies....

I enjoyed the Hobbit movies overall... were they great...no... not nearly as good as LOTR movies.... but again.... I enjoyed the LOTR books more than the Hobbit also...

I will say I always liked Bilbo much more than Frodo however..... in the books and movies...

My daughter who is 11 just watched the first two this week on dvd.. and we saw the movie today.. she enjoyed them more than I did.. of course she has not read the books...they are a bit more of a difficult read than the Harry Potter series, which she has read.. and so have I.... and they were excellent books and pretty good movies for the most part.. now I'm just rambling.

^ This is the main reason I want to see it, was to see what exactly was left out. I imagine it would be impossible to keep it totally true to the original story, being as how much was integrated and shoved into other parts.. but it'd be interesting to see.

I would have made 2 movies. Maybe not terribly different from his edit, but hard to say since he is working from the PJ movie rather than starting over. I personally liked the extra stuff that was true to the lore, even if not necessarily in the Hobbit book. There was plenty of action and interesting scenes to make a good movie right from the book.

Back