pensacola area brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ron...

Drinking one of your beers right now. I'm pretty sure it's the Belgian Ale. Very nice beer my man. Color me impressed. I'm getting malt and alcohol on the nose. It's a malt forward beer, but not cloying at all. I am getting some alcohol, but it's not to the point of warming. Again... Kudos. I've never brewed anything close to this. It's very simlar to beer I've paid good money for.

I'm going to have to step up my game if we keep swapping beer. Now I'm anxious to taste the rest of them.

Ron,

Drinking what has to be your scottish ale. Malt on the nose and the pallet. I do get a bit of the alcohol in the finish. While it's a very good beer, with quite a bit going on, It's probably not one that I'd brew or drink a whole lot of. Very sweet with a slight bitter after taste, with warming at the finish.

One of the guys that I give beer to is in his 70's. He's a huge beer fanatic. He would absolutely love this beer. It's right up his alley.

I really didn't mention that I'm primarily a pale ale brewer. The two of your beers that I've had so far have been on the malty/sweet side. What you have of mine will be much less sweet. The Alt and the Cynic will lean slightly that way, the others are going to be hoppy. Not overly bitter, but hops contribute the better part of the flavor.

I have to say it again... both of the beers that I've tasted are full of character. My pallet is awake my man. Good job.

Just took another drink. This beer is getting better as it warms a bit.

Awesome, i really appreciate the feedback! The scotch ale was not my favorite either. I do generally prefer more malt forward brews, but enjoy balance and hop forward as well.

I cracked one of the cynics last night and it was great! Did you use 1214 on that one? Its got similar yeast characteristics of the belgian i did with 1214. Its definately a little more well rounded as i was trying for a bit more spice out of mine. Ill have at least one or two more of them tonight after let you know what i think.

Ps im going to have to brew that cynic after i do a milk stout.

The Cynic kit comes with Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes. I've seen it labled as a farmhouse ale and as a saison. Not sure which it is, or what it is, other than it's a good beer. On the 2 that are in secondary, I changed up the hop schedule to make it a bit more balanced. We'll see how it goes. After drinking your beer I'm starting to thing I made a mistake and should have stuck to the hop schedule. but... it'll be beer, and it'll all go to a better place eventually.

I'm drinking the beer that was in the Grolsch bottle. What is that one? So far it's the one I'm liking the best. Still malt forward, but it doesn't lean as far that way. I'm really enjoying it as a matter of fact. I could drink 2 or 3 of these.

Took another drink... I am really enjoying this one. You do good work my man.

The one in the grolsch was a honey blonde. About a 1/2# of honey malt in a blonde recipe.

I think farmhouse ale is just another word for saison. Not sure, but i think so.

Im really pumped that youre enjoying them. Its nice to get some feedback on them. I feel like they were all pretty good, but its nice to have another home brewers palette try them out.

Drank the porter too. A good example of the style.

You should share the honey blonde recipe. It's a very nice beer. I'm saving the last 2 for tomorrow or Tuesday evening.

I'm drinking the last one. It had an orange cap with an "A" on it. I'm guessing an amber pale ale maybe. Centennial or Cascade hops.

Hops were very apparent on the nose and the pallet. Still had a strong malt flavor though. While I did enjoy this one, I hate to say that this was probably my fifth favorite of the 5. Still a descent beer and I'd drink another one.

Anxious to hear how you felt about the beer I gave you.

So im trying to expand my kegging operation. Before i pay a large amount to order some online does anyone have any local that they want to sell? Ill take pin or ball locks.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Home Brew mobile app

I hate to say it, but the best prices I have seen on kegs are from Shady lady...ball locks are 60 bucks, pin are cheaper, but I don't know price on them. either way they are cheaper than what I have found online once you add in the shipping.

Oh BTW not sure if you were aware or not, Gary is doing IPA for his next beer competition if you want to get in on it. Entries are due beginning of May.
I received great feedback on his last one which cause me to change some of the practices I had been doing. The brewers from PBB were the judges last time.

Nice, i did see that, and plan on making an entry. :)

Im hoing to brew this week to.make sure my recipe is where i want it.

A couple of us are getting together next weekend to brew a batch for the IPA competition. Fairhope Brewing Company will be judging this one. If you haven't had their Take the Causeway IPA it's worth the trip.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Where do I find info on the competition and where do I sign up for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I believe Gary has info on his FB page. I'm not on FB so I'm not sure. Try to search for Garys Home Brew Supply. Entry deadline is by the 10th of May I believe. He mentioned something about doing 3 category's English IPA, American IPA and Imperial IPA. Should be a good turnout for entries.

Im hoing to brew this week to.make sure my recipe is where i want it.

I bought my stuff for it on Friday. I had another beer I brewed today, but will be brewing the IPA sometime this week or next weekend as well.

I believe Gary has info on his FB page. I'm not on FB so I'm not sure. Try to search for Garys Home Brew Supply. Entry deadline is by the 10th of May I believe. He mentioned something about doing 3 category's English IPA, American IPA and Imperial IPA. Should be a good turnout for entries.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Garys-Home-Brew-Supply/522551684470936

that is the page for Gary's. On the page it says the entry window opens May 5th. not sure when it closes though. The 10th sounds about right though since that is the following Saturday.

Got 2 kegs for 84.00 shipped from https://bvrgelements.com/ if anyone else was interested. They were listed as "class 3" meaning one of the handle was cut, but guaranteed to have at least one functional. just wanted to give everyone a heads up. they were ball locks too.

Well, I finally relocated to Pensacola (Pace). Going to have to do some work to get the brewery ready. Actually, anyone know a good electrician? I need to add a 220v outlet for my Kal clone.

Any other Pace brewers getting together these days?

I haven't brewed since summer classes started, I'm doing the GI bill thing as well as working. I've got ingredients for a simple Belgian sitting on top of my fridge staring at me. Welcome to the area. I work at a local mom and pops pizza place right in pace. Save me the look through the pages here and tell us about yourself!

Seckert, one of the more active guys here moved away like a month or so ago, so it would be nice to have another person who is pretty active to chat with.

Seckert, one of the more active guys here moved away like a month or so ago, so it would be nice to have another person who is pretty active to chat with.

Im still here for you man!

I missed you at the IPA award presentation, did you end up entering? If so any good feedback?

I didn't end up entering. My ipa came out great, but it was a bit sweet for style guidelines and I didn't expect it to score well.

I did just taste my brown ale and it tastes like freaking band-aids. First off flavors I've ever had other than fusel early in my brewing career. It's really frustating, im.gonna dump the whole thing, it tastes terrible.

I do, that thing fermented in the mid 60's if I remember correctly. The keg was super over carbonated and the beer is really cloudy. I'm going to assume it got infected. My fermentation chamber is well within reach of the kids and it's not an unusual occurrence to find them messing with it...
/sigh

Save me the look through the pages here and tell us about yourself!

I tried responding to this twice by PM but it didn't go through. Guess I will give this a shot.

I started brewing with extract kits in Japan in 2010 and stuck with that when we moved back to the states. After 100gal of extract brewing, I made a pretty big jump by building a Kal clone all-electric brewery and started all grain 10gal batches. I'm a huge enthusiast for the DIY aspect of brewing and have built several generations of keezer including one that was built into the wet bar of my last house. I will be building a new one here sometime in the next couple of months. The first priority is to get my actual brewery set up/installed but I think indoor brewing will be really nice to have when it is wicked hot outside. :)

I guess that's about it. I am really interested in learning more about hops and water chemistry.

I would be really interested in learning from other brewers and once I am operational here, find a fellow brewer that would like to brew together and split batches.

I'm cleaning out my garage and need to get rid of some of these bottles, I've got at least 100 of them, but they are dirty and have labels. I'm going to take them to the dump/recycling if no one wants them. I'll give it a day or two on here before I list them on craigslist. My single car garage can't handle my hobbies and three fridges. Tell your buddies. Bottles are all free. Have a couple cases of long necks a couple cases of guinness shaped ones.

Anyone want to trade a pin lock keg for a ball lock keg? I sized up and can fit 5 kegs, but didn't realized pin locks were That much wider. My pin lock for your ball lock.

Anyone have a kettle with a ball valve to sell? Or know anyone?

I'm getting tired of dumping the wort into the fermenter and would rather just use a ball valve to transfer.

10g would be ideal, not really worried about a thermometer.

Back