Slow start to fermention - first time with SAF-05. Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveBrewSD

Reaction score
I brewed my second all grain batch yesterday, a take-off of BM's Centennial Blonde recipe. Hit my OG dead on at 1.046. I poured the wort into a plastic fermention bucket at ~75 degrees, shook to aerate it, then poured the yeast in. I had hydrated the safale 05 yeast with one cup of 100degree water (per John Palmer's book) and let it sit for 15 mins before adding. Now its only been 19 hrs to this point, but my other beers starting fermenting earlier (I used White Labs previously) and from what I've read this safale 05 usually takes off. It is in my closet at 68 degrees by the way. Any suggestions? Should I just be more patient? At what point should I pitch another packet of yeast?

Thanks for any advice you have,

Steve

I brewed my second all grain batch yesterday, a take-off of BM's Centennial Blonde recipe. Hit my OG dead on at 1.046. I poured the wort into a plastic fermention bucket at ~75 degrees, shook to aerate it, then poured the yeast in. I had hydrated the safale 05 yeast with one cup of 100degree water (per John Palmer's book) and let it sit for 15 mins before adding. Now its only been 19 hrs to this point, but my other beers starting fermenting earlier (I used White Labs previously) and from what I've read this safale 05 usually takes off. It is in my closet at 68 degrees by the way. Any suggestions? Should I just be more patient? At what point should I pitch another packet of yeast?

Thanks for any advice you have,

Steve

I would really pitch alot lower than what your doing now, right around 60 degrees is what i do. Ferm can take any where from 24-72 hours so just sit back and enjoy a beer.. also when i rehydrate i do mine at 82 degrees, 100 seems a bit warm and if your thermometer is off the yeast may have died off cause of the temp. Give it another day or so see what happens.

Ya I was just reading about how it's generally better to pitch at around 60. I agree with what you're saying about hydrating at a lower temp as well - thanks for the quick advice! If it doesn't start within a day or two, just add another packet of rehyrated yeast? Is there any harm in doing this? I've never attempted to re-pitch

Thank you I've been reading that thread as well. Although I think I screwed up, rehydrating at 100 degrees seems like a mistake. I think I will wait till tonight and if nothings happens, rehydrate another packet at a lower temp and pitch it

I think rehydrating at 100 for a short period of time is fine, in my personal opinion. For example, instructions for the yeast I use to make mead and cider has it rehydrated at 40 degrees C, which is the equivalent of 104 degrees F.

I went back to my recipies/notes and i did a red ale last month with US-05 and it took 3 days to start...Just wait it out and keep us posted

Safale recommends 77-84F for rehydration. I've done warmer up to 95 or so without issue, which I think is closer to what Danstar recommends for Notty.

Thanks a lot for all the input - As this is only my second all grain I have much to learn! I will keep you posted on how this goes

re-hydration at 105F is actually recommended.

Tips-Tricks.pdf Fermentis

"Yeasts are living organisms and rehydration temperature is critical for good yeast performance. Fermentis recommends that top fermenting/ale yeasts are rehydrated at a temperature between 25-29°C (77-84°F) and
that bottom fermenting/lager yeasts are rehydrated at a temperature range between 21-25°C (69-77°F)."

Tips-Tricks.pdf Fermentis

"Yeasts are living organisms and rehydration temperature is critical for good yeast performance. Fermentis recommends that top fermenting/ale yeasts are rehydrated at a temperature between 25-29°C (77-84°F) and
that bottom fermenting/lager yeasts are rehydrated at a temperature range between 21-25°C (69-77°F)."

Not disagreeing with you at all, my post was more geared towards the thought that I doubt the yeast were killed during rehydration, since others are done at that temp. Not likely to be optimal, but not likely to be dead either.

Used the US05 yesterday. Rehydrated at 74f a half hour before the end of the boil. Stirred gently periodically until pitching. Pitched into 70f wort. Within 12 hours she's going like mad.

Safale US-05
71322 125 1825 05/2013

image-2100850341.jpg

I've pitched US-05 at 72 and 64 without rehydration and stirred it in right away causing clumping and it still took off fully within 16 hours or so. As far as pitching temp, I think you really just want to pitch as close to actual expected fermentation temp as possible.

So what is all of your advice about pitching more yeast since mine has not started still? Should I rehydrate another pack of 05 and pitch it in?

SteveBrewSD said:
So what is all of your advice about pitching more yeast since mine has not started still? Should I rehydrate another pack of 05 and pitch it in?

RDWHAHB. fermentation can take up to 72 hours to show visible signs.

I pitched 05 dry into wort at 60f, took a couple days with very little bubbles....then I came out and the damn thing blew the cap off my carboy and sprayed yeast everywhere. Just be patient.

Well you all were right! It took about 2 days to start fermenting but I definitely have some airlock activity now. It seems slightly slower than usual but that could be for any number of reasons. Thanks for the support... I guess I'm just another junior member who worries when things don't go exactly right haha. I'll work on my patience!

I'm at 84 hours and fermentation has just started, but way slow! Gave it a few rolling stirs and will see what the morning brings. If it's still slow should I re-pitch a new packet?

Back