Bottling for the first time.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaneoco1981

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to attempt to bottle my first batch of beer tomorrow. I have roughly 4.5 gallons of HIGH gravity beer to bottle tomorrow. I am wondering how much sugar I should use to carbonate the beer. I have a clone of Raisin D'etre by Dogfish Head. It's a very dark beer in case you don't know. I am wondering if a) how much carbonation the original has, and b) how much sugar to accomplish something like that.

Ok, so the this calc says to use 3.1 oz of table sugar. Would anyone recommend I go get corn sugar instead? Is there a difference? Secondly, how much water to I boil it with and how long do I boil it?

Thanks guys!

It seems to me most use 2C of water to boil & mix the sugar into. And dextrose is used by many. Even the cooper's carb drops are sucrose,which is table sugar. I think they're both just as well.

Yup, 2 cups of water, boil the sugar for about 5 to 10 minutes or so, let it cool down a bit (doesn't need to be all the way to room temp) and pit half in the bottling bucket. Start siphoning on top and then add the rest about halfway through. Then give it a gentle stir to mix it up and you're good to go.

I've used table sugar and corn sugar, never noticed a difference.

Back