help with coopers IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EPS

Reaction score
I'm about to brew my second batch of brew in a coulpe days. Its a coopers IPA malt extract kit. The recipe calls for the malt extract and 1kg of dextrose and 500g of light DME. Should i just stick to this recipe or should i use a little more DME rather then all that dextrose and if so how much should i substitute? I have been reading the fourms and they say the less dextrose the better. So i was thinking of using less of the dextrose and adding more DME instead. I have 3lbs of muntons light DME here. My question is is it a good idea to change this recipe in the first place? And if so how much dextrose should i take out and how much more DME should i add? I want to get the best tasting beer i can get and i'm still a rookie. So any help would be great. And also the kit says leave it in the fermenter for 7 days then bottle it. But even if i get a hydrometer test that reads fermentation is complete. How much longer would be best to leave it in the fermenter without harming it before i bottle it? Thanks in advance EPS

I did the Cooper's IPA kit as my second batch as well. I just substituted all of the dextrose for DME if I recall correctly.

I'd leave it in the fermenter for 3 weeks before bottling. Seven days is way too short.

I think you're Ok with the fermentables you listed, as they are formulated to work well with dextrose. That said, from my experience with thier IPA kit, you might want to throw some more hops in or beter yet, dry hop some.

Woah wait I just noticed I might have phrased my previous post incorrectly. I used all DME and no dextrose. I substituted the dextrose that was called for with an equal amount of DME by weight.

Back