Chinook in a Ruination IPA Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jloxton

Reaction score
I have access to a whole lot of cheap magnum and chinook hops from a local local brewmaster who over ordered. I am planning on giving this recipe a whirl, and am thinking of substituting chinook for the centennial. I know this will produce something different than a Ruination, but as I have never actually tried Ruination, that's OK with me! My question is do you guys think it will make a delicious beer? Should I keep the values the same?

Stone Brewing - Ruination IPA
(5 gallon, extract with grains)
OG=1.075
FG=1.010
IBU'S = 115-120
SRM= 6
Alcohol 7.7% by volume

Ingredients

6.6 Lbs Northwestern gold (light) malt extract syrup
2.0 Lbs. Northwestern gold (light) dry malt extract
1.0 Lb. Briess 2-row malt
1.0 Lb. Briess 15L Crystal Malt
1 tsp Irish moss for 60 min (boil 60 minutes for clarity)
36.0 AAU Magnum hops (bittering hop)
(2.25 Oz. of 16.0% Alpha acid)
15.7 AAU Centennial hops (aroma/finishing hop)
(1.5 Oz. of 10.5% alpha acid)
21.0 AAU Centennial hops (dry hop)
(2.0 Oz. of 10.5% alpha acid)
Wyeast 1056 American Ale
yeast

Cheers!

jASON

Chinook is more of a bittering hop. Not sure you would be happy with the results. Buy some Centennial , prices have come down a lot.

Chinook is more of a bittering hop. Not sure you would be happy with the results. Buy some Centennial , prices have come down a lot.

Rumor has it that Arrogant Bastard is brewed with just chinook hops, and I find that one very tasty, it's all a matter of preference.

Chinook works fine for flavor and aroma, if you like grapefruit. Although Stone won't confirm it, most AB clones use Chinook across the board.

As said above, Chinook will impart a more grapefruit like flavor/aroma than Centennial will. It will still be a great beer, just not ruination. I would stick to their values, although Chinook is a higher AA hop than Centennial, so you'll need to adjust accordingly.

Side note, I can attest that Stone does in fact use Chinook in both AB and DAB.

Back