Sweet Stout Deception Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if I am reading this right - no real change in BeerSmith from adding 8 oz MaltoDex - says expected FG after secondary is 1.011. Original SG 1.116 (adjusted) current is still at 1.040. Subtracting the .011 from both of those totals and then figuring attenuation puts me at 70% apparent attenuation. That may be all I get outta the old S-04 but just wanted to be sure. Hell I may have to put these in the old PET bottles just in case :)

Try a taking a small sample out and drop in a packet of s05 at room temp and see what happens. If it doesn't budge a room temp it isn't going anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Bottled this one just this morning. Hydrometer sample tasted like coffee with a little caramel creamer. VERY happy so far, and really looking forward to the finished product!

Just started this. I was planning in fermenting it the one month, but conderned about the half batch I have in the Mr Beer keg. Wondering if the open fermentation concept will cause a problem at that length of time

Not an issue for me skitter. Left mine in the LBK for a month, and even green and flat, the sample was damn good.

I'll post back if there's bottle bombs/gushers, but I doubt it.

Cool, I was more worried about a bad colony starting if the fermentation wasn't able to keep the barrier up

I did brew this with double the lactose, .5lb for a 2.5g batch. I also added 1 vanilla bean

Brewed this today for the first time, but upped the lactose to 1 lb and added 1 lb of flaked oats. Excited to see how it turns out.

Pulled a sample of this today to make sure it was ready for Irishfest next weekend. I drank about 2oz and was so thrilled that I handed it to my wife for a sip. I never got it back :-(

Bleme. Did you use Denny's favorite yeast? If so how long did it take to get to your FG? What was your OG and FG? Also did you do AG and what was your batch size? Thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions.

I used US-05 yeast. 1.074 OG. 1.020 3 weeks later. All grain but used a full pound of lactose and rounded the wheat to 2 pounds. 5.5 gallons into the fermentor, 5.2 gallons into the keg.

Bleme, how the hell are you managing to only lose 0.3 gallons in the primary? I have almost a gallon of trub every time.

I can't say for sure how much went into the keg. I'm basing that on it being a 5.25 gallon keg and it fill it nearly to the gas tube. I do minimize my trub by lining my bucket with a paint strainer bag and pulling it out after filling.

I cold crash with an ice bath for the 2 days prior to transfer. When I transfer, the yeast cake is the consistency of peanut butter and isn't going anywhere so I can get every drop.

I also carb naturally, so there is the water that I boil the sugar in to account for as well.

That's awesome. Apologies for this continuing off topic, but do you typically pull a bunch of stuff out with your paint strainer?

It is usually pretty significant but this batch was less than most because it has so few hops. I also get a little more when I BIAB (like I did this batch) than when I use a traditional mash tun.

I can't say for sure how much went into the keg. I'm basing that on it being a 5.25 gallon keg and it fill it nearly to the gas tube. I do minimize my trub by lining my bucket with a paint strainer bag and pulling it out after filling.

I cold crash with an ice bath for the 2 days prior to transfer. When I transfer, the yeast cake is the consistency of peanut butter and isn't going anywhere so I can get every drop.

I also carb naturally, so there is the water that I boil the sugar in to account for as well.

Thanks for the ice bath idea. Tried it a couple of days ago. Even after less than a day in the ice bath it worked great! Like you said, I almost got every last drop out of the bucket.

Do you get enough yeast left to carbonate the beer? I usually primary for 3 weeks and at the end of that time the yeast cake is pretty compact. I've been getting undercarbed beers lately, with little yeast trub in the bottoms of bottles, and I've been wondering if I am not getting enough yeast into the bottles from the fermenter.

Do you get enough yeast left to carbonate the beer? I usually primary for 3 weeks and at the end of that time the yeast cake is pretty compact. I've been getting undercarbed beers lately, with little yeast trub in the bottoms of bottles, and I've been wondering if I am not getting enough yeast into the bottles from the fermenter.

I usually use about 130 grams of dextrose for 5 gallons and have plenty of carbonation, with perhaps a third of the bottle sediment that I used to get. Depending on the yeast and how long it has been in the bottle/fridge, sometime the sediment sticks to the bottom of the bottle so well that I can pour the whole thing. It isn't the most cost-effective solution for a lot of people but I get free ice from work so it works for me.

This was my first time kegging but I treated it like a giant bottle and used my normal 130 grams of sugar instead of force carbing. When I first tried the picnic tap, it came rushing out way too fast and was all foam. I pulled the release valve and my friend (who has been kegging for 2 years) said that from the hiss, he estimated that was about 20 psi sitting on top.

Watch the temperature that the bottles carb at. I added my regular priming sugar addition to a batch, neglecting to factor in that instead of conditioning at 75 they were at 63, and I've ended up with undercarbed beer.

John Palmer has a little info graphic thing that let's you work out how much sugar is needed for desired co2 volume at a certain temperature

I did my first two batches at around 68. After those batches, which were carbed but inconsistent bottle to bottle I now do a week at 75-80 degrees then move to a 60 degree closet. After a week mine have been carbed consistently but need to condition, that's where the 60 degree closet comes in. I just pull the bottles out as I want and keep my fridge stocked.

I know 50-55 is the ideal conditioning cellar temp but 60 is the closet I can pull off. Hasn't failed me yet.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Home Brew mobile app

I usually go 2 weeks at room temp (68F) to carbonate. At this time of year, I really don't have anywhere warmer to put the bottles, but maybe I need to let them go longer (4 weeks?) before moving them to the cellar.

Sounds good. Or, you can move a bottle to the fridge once a week, chill for 2 days, and then test it's carbonation. When it gets good, you know you can move the rest to the cellar.

I upped mine to 1 pound lactose and 2 pounds wheat, mostly because that's the way my LHBS sells it :)

I served it today at my club's booth at the IrishFest. We had 5 taps and this stout emptied the 2nd fastest, right behind the wheat IPA. I had several people come back, asking where they could buy it as it was their favorite beer there. I, personally, wouldn't go that far but that was high praise with breweries over 20 craft breweries there, including Firestone Walker, Sierra Nevada, and New Belgium.

One of my biggest issues right now is determining 12oz or 22oz bottles for this. I like bombers, but with my glass I fill it with half the bottle, and the other half usually has a bit more sediment than the first. This makes me want to use 12oz bottles for simplicity's sake, but I have far more bombers than I do 12oz bottles.

THis is being done for my Anniversary on Jul27th, I bottle it on Saturday. Will the 4 months in the bottle give this enough time to compact the sediment to the point to where it won't be an issue? Especially if I cold chill it 2 weeks prior to the anniversary?

Thanks,

Skitt

I opened a few of these last night in celebration of everyone's favorite alcoholic saint, and may I just say: Wow!

To the recipe creator, well done, and thank you for sharing. For anyone on the fence: brew this now! For anyone with bottles carbing/conditioning, I'm sorry if my enthusiasm is making the wait harder than it usually is, but... like I said, wow.

Seriously, this is good stuff! I'm going to keep a few bottles on hand to silence homebrew trashtalkers or Mr. Beer haters. Of course, they'll get a 2 oz. sample, and I'll finish the bottle.

I'll be starting a 5 gallon batch soon.

Just drinking the flat beer left over from bottling tasted hella good... it will be in the bottles till Jul 27. Hopefully it didn't need oxygen caps

I brewed this the second week of January. Kegged it... and tapped it Feb 21st... and now its gone. :p Amazing recipe. My only change was adding more lactose (3/4lb instead of 1/2lb). Brewing this again next week.

I brewed this the second week of January. Kegged it... and tapped it Feb 21st... and now its gone. :p Amazing recipe. My only change was adding more lactose (3/4lb instead of 1/2lb). Brewing this again next week.

I made a 2.5g batch and I doubled the lactose to .5lb total instead of .25. The bottling leftovers tasted awesome

Brewing a hefeweizen this weekend and then this is up next. Thinking about adding cocoa nibs in the secondary and cold brewed coffee at bottling. Anyone done this and have good results with it? How much of each did you add?

This beer is perfect as it is. I did do a 10 gallon batch of this in august 2013 and split the batch. One as is and the other 5 gallons were aged on bourbon, vanilla and oak.... Both kegs were empty very very quickly.

Best beer I have made to date

This beer is perfect as it is. I did do a 10 gallon batch of this in august 2013 and split the batch. One as is and the other 5 gallons were aged on bourbon, vanilla and oak.... Both kegs were empty very very quickly.

Best beer I have made to date

I have this beer on my brew list and hopefully will brew it in a few weeks. Do you have notes on how much bourbon, vanilla and oak you used for 5 gallons as well as how you used each in the beer. Primary? Secondary? Bottling? Amount of time on oak? I'm now thinking about splitting a batch too. Thank you.

I have this beer on my brew list and hopefully will brew it in a few weeks. Do you have notes on how much bourbon, vanilla and oak you used for 5 gallons as well as how you used each in the beer. Primary? Secondary? Bottling? Amount of time on oak? I'm now thinking about splitting a batch too. Thank you.

I used 2 ounces of oak cubes, put that in a mason jar, split a vanilla bean in there and filled with bourbon to cover the oak. I did this the day I brewed it and then just threw the whole thing in secondary after fermentation was complete for a couple of weeks, then kegged it.

I think it was about 3 months later it made it to tap and it was fantastic and lasted maybe 2-3 weeks.

Did this batch, bottled it, Tried it after 3 weeks, and OMG best beer I have made ever...!!!!

Sucks I only have 14 bottles left. I tried to age but at the three month mark now this beer seems to be in its prime.

1396837303757.jpg

I only had 1 to check carbonation. The rest will remain in the bottle till Jul 27th

You must have either tremendous self control, or an equally impressive selection of beer on hand.

I'm down to about 12 bottles left. I even picked up a case of Left Hand Milk Stout, which now seems tasteless and flat in comparison, to try to slow my burning through these.

I need to stop by the liquor store near work and pick up some Old Rasputin and Dragon's Milk, and hide these in the back of the fridge until the 3 month mark, so I can taste them when they're really good.

Definitely a re-brew coming up, though!

I have no beer on hand other than this, however this batch was specifically for our anniversary on the 27th of July, and despite my wife not liking the taste yesterday I am still keeping it in the bottles for the 3 months. As I do 2.5g batches I only have 1 case of this, and I am saving it till then.

Back