Willamette and US Golding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierhaus15

Reaction score
Anyone brew with these?

I have never used either variety, but they have them real cheap on hopsdirect and I am tempted to buy a pound of each to see how they compare to EKG and Fuggle (which i normally use). Am I going to regret this, or should I just buy the real stuff?

No opinion on the US Goldings since I have never used them but Willamettes are great. They are one of my favorite hops. I just bought a pound of those myself.

Willamette is also one of my favorite hops, I think that you find it an excellent fuggle replacement. I like them in just about any beer from a pale ale, to a porter.
I have never used the US golding though, can't help you there.

the us goldings i got from hops direct are 4.5% AA, i have used them several times, but have not used EKG so i dont have anything to compare them to.

Another vote for Willamette. I've 1.5 lbs in my hop freezer and use it when bittering any style that doesn't need a huge bittering load.

I've used Willamette in a stout before and it tasted great.

I too bought a pound of US Goldings at 4.5% AA. The vendor implied they were UK Goldings by calling them "Kent Goldings" and listing them in their "Imported Hops" section on the website. They even say "Kent Goldings" on the package, but also state "Product of USA" (in this case, I don't think they should call them "Kent Goldings"). When using Goldings, I've only used real EKG to this point, but just brewed a Bitter on Friday with the US Goldings. We'll see how it turns out. I've heard others say that if EKG are a "10", US Goldings are an "8".

I bought some US Goldings during the hop crisis when the UK Goldings were almost impossible to come by. They are very good but not quite on a par with the UK variety IMO. The overall profile is similar although I find the US version to lack some of the finer aroma qualities of the UK and to me the US has a somewhat earthier flavor. All in all it is still a very nice hop. :mug:

Back