90 Minute DogFish Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col224

Reaction score
Ok, So I'm looking to Clone the 90 minute IPA from DFH. I just tried it this past weekend and really liked it but locally its over 3$ a bottle.

I found a couple recipes which I'll post below. What I'm hoping people can help me with is tweaking the recipe a bit and deciding on a yeast. A "flavorful English ale yeast" is what Andy Tveekrem(from DFH) said to use.

Also, I've never dry-hopped or brewed high gravity so this will be a first for both of those. Obviously the yeast will be affected by the HG.

Finally, I was wondering if there is any really good place to buy ingredients in bulk.

My set up is: limit of 3 gal boils. 5 gallon batches. I'm still doing extract brewing.

Here's the recipe:

90-Minute IPA clone (Dogfish Head) from BYO
(5 gallons/19L, all-grain)
OG = 1.088 FG = 1.021
IBU = 90 SRM = 13 ABV - 8.7%

Ingredients
16.5 lbs. Pilsner malt
1.66 lbs. amber malt (35 *L)
16 AAU Amarillo hops (90-0 mins)
(2.0 oz. of 8% alpha acids)
8.0 AAu Simcoe hops (90-0 mins)
(0.62 oz. of 13% alpha acids)
8.0 AAU Warrior hops (90-0 mins)
(0.53 oz. of 15% alpha acids)
1 oz. Amarillo hops (dry hops)
0.5 oz. Simcoe hops (dry hops)
0.5 oz. Warrior hops (dry hops)
1 tsp. Iriish moss (15 mins)
Wyeast 1099 (Whitbread Ale) yeast
.75 cups corn sugar (for priming)

Step by Step
Mash in at 122 *F (50 *C), then raise the temp. to 149 *F (65 *C) until conversion is complete. Mash out to 170 *F (77 *C). Boil the wort for 105 minutes. Starting with 90 minutes left in the boil, begin slowly and evenly adding hops to the kettle. (This works out to a little over .25 oz. of hops every 7.5 minutes.) Start fermentation at 71 *F (22 *C) and let raise to 74 *F (23 *C). Dry hop in secondary at 71 *F for 3-5 days, then cool to 32 *F (0 *C).

Extract Option:
Replace Pilsner malt with 8.0 lbs. dried malt extract and 1.75 lbs. of Pilsner Malt. Steep crushed grains in 1.1 gallons (4 L) of water at 150 *F (66 *C) for 45 minutes. Follow the remaining instuctions in the all-grain recipe.

Finally, sorry for the consecutive posts, a interview in 2005(after the article in BYO) said they had switched to 2 row and amber malt as opposed to the pilsner listed, any thoughts on this?

Back