Cost of repairing a fridge/freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atl_sud

Reaction score
I regularly scan Craigs list for sweet deals for freezers or fridges. Some of these are in pretty good cosmetic condition and are going for the right price (free!). The only thing is the unit does not get cold.

What do you suppose the average costs are for repairing these units?

Cost of freon recharge?

Could the repair be done DIY? Compressor or condenser replacement.

Thanks in advance.
T

The cost for labor/parts for someone to come out and "fix" a refridgerator are often the same or more than what it costs to buy another one, used.

Our fridge took a dump and my wife had purchased the SEARS warranty. The receipt said it would have been $250 to fix otherwise. And this repair was electric, and had nothing to do with the refrigerant.

Short answer: You don't want a non-working fridge.

I've not seen anyone repairing a fridge but I would think it requires special tools just like for automobile A/C units and I'm pretty certain it's illegal without a license of some sort due to the "environmental hazzards" of freon etc. That being said, I would think if one had the right tools and the knowledge, they could do it, physically. I would think if it's leaking, some soldering of small tubing would be required? The repair shop would have to re-charge it anyway, I believe.

Unless it's a commercial unit like a Traulsen, Hobart, Zero-Zone or Sub-Zero, having one fixed would end up costing you more than finding one that runs.

Replacing a compresser would be expensive with labor. Even soldering a small leak (provided there is only one) would require a service tech to vacuum down the system and recharge. Again, too costly to justify.

BTW, I've seen a couple of nice working fridges for free on CL lately.

I'm doomed when my fridge is not functioning well. :mad: But it is better to buy new than asking for a repair. My fridge broke, and I knew that meant I did not have much time until my food went negative.

I've worked on a few and, if you have to hire it done, I would say it's not worth it for a domestic unit. If you're handy and have the right tools you MAY be able to fix it depending on the nature of the problem. If the problem is electrical - that is starting components, one of the fan motors, a defrost timer or heater, a control, etc you can probably do it yourself. If the problem is in the refrigerant path, then it's better left to the professionals like mentioned by Cookiebaggs.

I have a 1951 General Electric Fridge that died this summer. I'm debating on getting it fixed because it is a classic. Does anyone have any insight into these older vintage fridges?

I was going to get a pump replaced on a dishwasher not too long ago. 120usd for pump and 2x 80 for labor, then I still would have a used washer. Just go new.

I found out my vintage 1951 fridge has a bad 'cold control'. The part is no longer manufactured, does anyone know if a device like a Ranco or Johnson Controls temperature controller can take the place of it? If so I may be able to turn my fridge into a dual-purpose beer fridge/part-time fermentation chamber.

I found out my vintage 1951 fridge has a bad 'cold control'. The part is no longer manufactured, does anyone know if a device like a Ranco or Johnson Controls temperature controller can take the place of it? If so I may be able to turn my fridge into a dual-purpose beer fridge/part-time fermentation chamber.

Yes, as long as the compressor runs and you have no leaks.

Awesome! The compressor runs fine, the cold control just doesn't turn off and the compressor overheats. Now to figure out which controller to get. Time to search the forum.

Back