Pumpkin: how do you add it to mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeHumanizations

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to home brewing ( only 2 5 gallon batches, both still in primary) and would really like to start a pumpkin pie mead. obviously its not the season for pumpkin so i plan on using a canned pumpkin puree (without spices) and add spices. here are my initial thoughts for a recipe (5 gallon).

19 ibs honey
45 oz of pumpkin puree
2 tsp of pumpkin spice
yeast nutrient
yeast energizer
Lalvin D47
and enough water to get to 5 gallons

so here are a few of my questions.

1. I've read around and found that grilling/roasting the pumpkin brings more flavor to the table. But with using a Puree, should i bake it till brown or just leave as be?

2. when should i add the puree? primary or secondary?

3. When should i add the spices?

4. will the puree mix in for a while or just settle right away? will i lose much liquid when racking?

5. Do sweet potatoes really bring anything to the table for pumpkin flavor?

Thanks in advance for any responses

Hmmm my best guess would be to just boil it all together maybe with the pumpkin puree in a silk bag to keep sediment form leeching into your mead. I would definitely move it to a secondary and leave any sediment behind (obviously). Remember, the whole point is to clear up the mead; you don't want anything to cloud up your final product.

I think adding [anything] in the secondary is the wrong way of going about it. You're going to end up with sediment and who knows what else in your bottles which would be unappealing to most people in my opinion.

You are honestly probably one of the only people to mess around with a spiced pumpkin mead/metheglin so have fun with it! Maybe try one 1-gallon of baked puree and 1-gallon regular, and after racking decide which one you prefer.

Lots of pumkin and apple pie recipes floating around. One thing is you are going to get a LOT of sediment, so if you want 5 gallon start with at least 6 or plan to make up for the lost volume when you rack to your secondary. I like to add a little amylase when using veggies just to make sure to get all the starches broken down. You can put your spices in a cotton spice bag or just let them float around in the secondary. Some people like to steep the spices first in some hot water. You might also want to add a few vanilla beans. I also think you are a little light on pumpkin, this is going to be very lite in flavor, imagine diluting pumkin with lots of water, not to appealing, might want to boost that a little bit also. Your gravity is going to be up there a little bit, make sure you add enough nutrients for it and try to keep D47 cooler. WVMJ

I'm fairly new to home brewing ( only 2 5 gallon batches, both still in primary) and would really like to start a pumpkin pie mead. obviously its not the season for pumpkin so i plan on using a canned pumpkin puree (without spices) and add spices. here are my initial thoughts for a recipe (5 gallon).

19 ibs honey
45 oz of pumpkin puree
2 tsp of pumpkin spice
yeast nutrient
yeast energizer
Lalvin D47
and enough water to get to 5 gallons

so here are a few of my questions.

1. I've read around and found that grilling/roasting the pumpkin brings more flavor to the table. But with using a Puree, should i bake it till brown or just leave as be?

2. when should i add the puree? primary or secondary?

3. When should i add the spices?

4. will the puree mix in for a while or just settle right away? will i lose much liquid when racking?

5. Do sweet potatoes really bring anything to the table for pumpkin flavor?

Thanks in advance for any responses

I have dealt with pumpkin before, My best advice is to 1. Roast it, you wont get good flavors if you don't, 2. cubes or mush in a large mesh bag, you will get lots of sediment anyhow but this will be the bulk of it. 3. Put in secondary, 4. Consider using Sweet Potatoes as well as pumpkin does not have much flavor. 5. double the amount that you think you will need.

I think adding [anything] in the secondary is the wrong way of going about it. You're going to end up with sediment and who knows what else in your bottles which would be unappealing to most people in my opinion.
Actually, secondary is likely the best way to do it if you want the flavor (which would likely be mostly blown off in primary ferment) , and pumpkin isn't very strong in flavor. If you add stuff like that to secondary, yeah, there'll be a lot sediment, and you'll be racking again, and again and maybe again. Hey, this ain't beer... ;)

I just made a pumpkin spice one gallon brew this past weekend, but I had a very strong tea, loose leaf from a friends tea shop that I brewed and added. When it gets a little further along, I can share with you how that is going if you'd like.

@mollysings21

I would love to know how it turns out! We are about to embark on our first pumpkin spice mead and we have heard a bunch of mixed ideas.

Back