Ideal drinking time when force carbonating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwwd6

Reaction score
I received my first keg set up and a blichmann beer gun for christmas and was planning on force carbonating my next brew using the set it and forget it technique. I've read that when the force carbonation chart is used properly, the beer should be perfectly carbonated after a week. I was planning on bottling the entire keg with my beer gun once it was ready.

My question is when force carbonating using this method is the beer the best it's ever going to be after 1 week? 2 weeks? or does it get better with time in the keg. I would think once it is carbonated that is it, and that's the best the beer is going to taste. I am just trying to avoid bottling from the keg prematurely before the beer is the best its going to be.

Not sure where you heard that it's one week with THE chart since the majority go 2-3 weeks.

IF you're really going to bottle the entire keg, either get a couple of helpers, or plan for a long session. Bottle one, or two, then cap them before moving on. You'll also need to have the bottles sanitized and chilled (and waiting chilled) for bottling. Most of us use our freezers for this, so that they get cold faster. Basically, you want the bottles to be no warmer than the beer going into them.

IMO, if you have beer in keg, carbonated, unless you're giving it to people, drink from keg. I really don't see much point of not keeping it in keg for you to enjoy at home.

If you are going to keg, I'd drink from the keg. If you want to put it all into bottles you might as well bottle condition the beer.

I agree with Gold, if you are going to do the Ronco set it and forget it method, it will take you 2 weeks+ to hit optimal carbonation. I usually just burst-carb my kegged beer by setting the regulator to 35-40PSI and rocking the keg for 8-10 minutes. Beer will be ready in a couple hours.

So I should set the psi according to the carbonation chart for 3 weeks and then change it to serving psi? Should I be burping the keg at any point throughout this process? What's a good serving psi?

So I should set the psi according to the carbonation chart for 3 weeks and then change it to serving psi? Should I be burping the keg at any point throughout this process? What's a good serving psi?

No. You set it to the serving pressure at temperature and leave it alone. Use the PSI/Temperature to obtain a good CO2 volumes for the brew style.

I typically use 12-14psi at 40F for my pale ales, and less for my browns and porters.

Ohhh so the chart is what dictates serving psi?

Do I need to whang you up side the head with a full keg?? :eek:

The chart shows pressure to use at the temperature of the beer, for serving AND carbonating. The temperature is what dictates what PSI you need to reach the CO2 volumes you desire.

This isn't brain surgery here. Not even rocket science. It shouldn't be this difficult for someone to comprehend. :eek: :fro:

I find that my beer is carbonated after about a 7-10 days at serving pressure but it doesn't really get to the good quality beer stage until about three weeks.

Back