Can someone tell me what this is?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthropo

Reaction score
Greetings everyone! I'd like to take this moment to thank the community for being such a rich source of information. I have made a few batches of ciders and meads thanks to everyone here. Still very much a novice though.

I have a BOMM that I started on 4/1, it's a 1 gal batch OG 1.090. I've successfully made 2 other BOMMs prior to this, but this one I was trying to go for a smoky taste and decided to try adding peated malt to this. I can go over my procedure if needed.

I opened the fermentation bucket today (4/30) to rack it and the attached picture is what I saw. What is this floating on top of my mead? The SG is 1.001. I am pretty consistent with my sanitation procedures, so I'd like to believe this isn't something terrible.... But I would like to know.

image.jpg

Hi it looks like yeast to me.... Mead has good clarity so far . I think there's nothing to worry about.

Thanks.

Does some of the yeast float like that often? This is my 5th batch of mead and none of the others did that. Could it be temperature related?

Yes sometimes yeast will form rafts. Could be temperature related I occasionally see it . Not quite sure why
But it turns out just fine. I just let it settle out. I have one now that looks like yours and it's been sitting in a secondary for the better part of the year. Just getting ready to bottle this weekend. Samples are wonderful in taste.

I agree it looks like the yeast created those islands and have yet to settle. Give the top of the mead a gentil swirl. The islands should disperse into puffs of yeast clouds and small chunks. That would cloudy this up a bit but should settle out within days as long as it is what we are thinking it is.

Back