Bananas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frothdaddy

Reaction score
I just transferred my NB Honey Weizen kit to the secondary, and when I checked my gravity I gave it a little taste. There is a VERY strong odor and taste of bananas, but my fermentation temp has been fairly consistent right around 65-68.

I thought banana taste was a result of higher temps? Or, will this mellow in the secondary/bottles? Is this consistent with what a wheat beer normally does?

FYI: my yeast is Wyeast 1010.

I bottled a hefe 10 days ago that smelt of nothing but bananas. On Sunday I opened one up to try and the banana smell has faded quite a bit. I was a bit worried at first. RDWHAHB.

Speaking of bananas...

Do you guys really dislike those notes? I know, ultimately it's "insert your name"'s brew, but I had a hefe the other day that had a rather strong banana flavour and I rather enjoyed it.

German Hefe's have a banana note in the nose I rather enjoy them, I like a good Banana Clove Hefe.

Cheers

Bingo to the last two posters. Hefeweizen is made for bananas and cloves. In fact, I'm going to go stick a clove in a banana and eat it right now...

I always ferment my hefeweizens at 60F, they come out very balanced. Also make sure to pitch lots of yeast, if they have to work too hard they will produce excessive esters.

Back