need help on temprature and PH testing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorgonzo79

Reaction score
I'm brewing now and just tested the mash PH with some new test strips I got from LHBS. Was confused the vial gave no indication of test temp. So called and was told it doesnt matter with strips what temp. the test is taken at.
knowing temp. affects PH; am I being told the strips are that inacurate or what.
Reading came out what appears to be 5 PH taken at 153F 15 mins. into mash. this is a summer wheat ale: 6#pale malt, 5# pale wheat, 1# crystal 40L. should I adjust this or will it fly?

Paper strips are generally not very accurate. If the strip is indicating somewhere around 5, I'd leave it alone. You want to be in the 5 to 5.5 area.

Have you ever done this recipe before? With the same water? If you have and it turned out, the pH is probably fine.

A digital test meter - like the Milwaukee 55 or 56 is much more accurate than strips.

nope new recipe, same H2O from my tap for all brews though and they all seem to be ok so far though a little inefecient. this is the last thing i have to adjust so i got the strips.

I'm brewing now and just tested the mash PH with some new test strips I got from LHBS. Was confused the vial gave no indication of test temp. So called and was told it doesnt matter with strips what temp. the test is taken at.
knowing temp. affects PH; am I being told the strips are that inacurate or what.
Reading came out what appears to be 5 PH taken at 153F 15 mins. into mash. this is a summer wheat ale: 6#pale malt, 5# pale wheat, 1# crystal 40L. should I adjust this or will it fly?

I think the affect of temperature on pH has more to do with the instruments doing the measuring. A change in pH requires a change in the [H+] concentration. This is not going to change with heating (except if there is a lot of evaporation). Temperature affects how the the electrodes work, so it is really a change in how the pH meter works, not an actual pH change.

It is common for the pH of a mash to drop with time.

The pH strips are good for getting you in the ballpark, but can be off by a couple tenths. There are better than nothing, but leave something to be desired.

Back