March Pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering the same kind of thing (not specifically about that particular pump), but if I were looking for a pump, what kind of pump should it be. I dislike siphoning (I tend to make a mess of things when I siphon), and would love to just hook up a (sanitized of course) pump instead.

Hard to say. That's a great price but it doesn't say anything about the psi, gpm, or if the head can handle boiling liquids. Try emailing March Pump ([email protected]), give them the model number and see if you can find out more info. There's 42 available so it looks like you have at least a little time. ;)

Good luck!

PLEASE tell me that the answer on that is "yes," because the "buy it now" price is about a third of what I was expecting to ultimately have to pay for a pump. Don;t need one right now, so I'm gonna pass - but that's a damn good deal if it will work.

230VAC, a takeout and that pump head looks like the corrosive fluid model. I'd wave off myself, although I suppose left coast IPAs can be considered corrosive fluids.

The March pump models with higher head pressure capabilities for home brewing are the MDX-MT3 rated at 8 GPM & 16' shut off head, and AC-3CP-MD with 9 GPM & 21' shut off head. The higher head pressure will allow one to use quick disconnects and still get 1+ GPM through you system. The standard pump heads work for wort temperatures but you want to look for the pumps heads made from kynar for boiling applications. The model 809-BR-HSC is the lower head pressure bronze circulator pump with 8 GPM and 12' shut off head. The bronze pump will work with boiling water temperatures but you would need to be carefull to limit restrictions in the plumbing to get flows at or above 1 GPM in your system.
Here is a pump on Ebay that would work http://cgi.ebay.com/March-MDXT-3-Magnetic-Drive-Pump-Magnet_W0QQitemZ320129335461QQihZ011QQcategoryZ46547QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheesefood said:
Is this the right pump to get?

Geez, Cheese, you're handing this one right to Orpheus. Why don't you just go ahead and ask what kind of hose you need for this to work?

You're not even trying anymore....

:(

david_42 said:
A step-up transform is an option, but an added expense.

True, not sure of the wattage this pump requires but I've seen some cheaper step up transformers in the $12-15 range.

But I agree it would be in the best interest to just get the proper pump.

Then again if you have access to cheap/free step up transformers or use 230 then these might do the trick.

david_42 said:
A step-up transform is an option, but an added expense.

Five years ago and I could have gotten all the SU Xformers I'd wanted for free, but those connections are long gone (got fired from that company). The MDXT is a nice looking option. Can I just hook that up on a typical 3 prong plug and plug that into any old wall socket?

evanmars said:
Cheesefood said:
Five years ago and I could have gotten all the SU Xformers I'd wanted for free, but those connections are long gone (got fired from that company)...

For getting all the xformers you wanted for free?
No, because my boss is a man-hating dike.

Yeah, but is she dog-ugly dike or a lipstick lesbian?
boobies.gif

Back