Possible contamination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schubes24

Reaction score
I'm on my 5th brew, and I did everything as I always do when brewing my Blonde Ale. I racked it to my secondary and its been in there for about a week. Two days ago I noticed a small amount of bubbles forming on the top. It keeps getting more and more every day. Its still a small amount, but just wondering why this would happen and if I should be concerned.

Most likely it's nit contaminated. Probably just co2 bubbles coming up. Moving or rocking the fermenter such as what would happen during racking can re suspend yeast causing this I believe.

Dont worry,it just off-gassed. I had this happen when rousing and warming it last week before bottleing. I thought i roused a second ferment but it wasnt really.

It's nothing to worry about. Mine do that after FG is reached & I'm letting the yeast clean things up. The brew get some small amount of carbonation from fermenting under that blanket of CO2. So when FG is reached,it strikes me that the pressure of that CO2 blanket goes down,& the gas bubbles up out of solution.:drunk:

How does it taste?
^^^^^
That's the key.

Even if (and this is a huge if) you had an issue, what could you do about it now? Nothing. So taste the beer. If it tastes like Satan's Taint, don't drink it. Otherwise, let it go.

jds said:
^^^^^
That's the key.

Even if (and this is a huge if) you had an issue, what could you do about it now? Nothing. So taste the beer. If it tastes like Satan's Taint, don't drink it. Otherwise, let it go.

It really is a HUGE if. I have only done about 10 batches but I have made every mistake in the book when it comes to sanitation and have yet to have an infected batch.

I think it might be contaminated! Sounds bad! You should ship it to me ASAP for confirmation! I will have to perform a vigorous taste test contamination precedure to confirm this of course. I might be able to salvage 1 bottle for you though if there is enough sample left. I will ship that back to you as soon as it's carbed.

Ah nevermind, I was just trying to get free beer.....:D

As stated above it's most likely fine.

beerloaf

After you brew more you will realize how its unlikley to be anything wrong with it and can only learn what to do to make a good beer a really good beer.

Back