Should my bucket lid have a gasket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, there should be a large o-ring inserted into the groove in the under side of the Ale Pale's lid.

John

It depends. How big is the bucket?
My 6 gallon buckets have a large o-ring in them, but my 15 gallon bucket does not have an 0-ring.

I don't think my Ale Pale has a gasket in it- it's covering my primary right now. It does fit TIGHT, though. I almost have to use a pry bar to get it off, and I have no leaks.

Lorena

Thanks everyone for your replies. I put the lid on with the airlock, and pushed down on the center of the lid. No leaks!

I'm using it tonight on my first batch ever. I'm using a PG Brewer's Best IPA kit. Wish me luck.

:mug:

my 7.5 gallon has no gasket besides the one or the air lock. it seals fine and takes some work to get off.

That is interesting that some of the fermenter buckets that are sold out there come with lids without o-rings. I did not know that. All the ones that I have seen have had o-rings, even the cheap 5 gallons buckets from Home Depot that I use for misc cleaning and sanitizing tasks. I guess you can learn something every day if you look hard enough.

John

Back