New free open source brewing software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman768

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Over the past month, I have been developing something I'm calling "Brewtarget" from the ground up under the open source GPL3 license (meaning it has to legally remain free forever). Basically, it was something I hoped would satisfy my own desires. However, it has become the second largest software project that I've created, so now it's on sourceforge. Right now, I'm developing in C++ under Linux, and the GUI uses the Qt libray (which KDE is based on). However, the whole thing should be portable to Macs and Windows.

The reason I made it in the first place was to have it be able to deduce the amounts of grain you need given constraints on the OG, color, etc. So, that is the main goal, but I also want it to be easy to use and have all sorts of good tools. I could really use some help though, especially with the GUI. If you are a good C++ programmer, can document your code well, and know what MVC architecture is (this is a MUST), you should send me a message.

Click here to see/download the project.

Can't help you with the coding, but if you need testers, let me know (I run Vista)

I have macs and windows, glad to help test on windows and compile on macs. I've done qt apps on macs before, helped play w/ some dev work on hydrogen for a short while.

~Phil

Hmm, as a linux user I'm interested. Been years since I did any C/C++ but I might be able to help (you probably don't want it, one look at my code and you'd puke =P).

Great idea and thanks for putting your work on SF. QT took a couple hours to install on my macbook pro vai ports. Was able to run the make file, but get this when I try to run it.
Code:
$ ./brewtarget
-bash: ./brewtarget: cannot execute binary file
I know it's probably not ready for the mac, but thought i'd report my findings.

I'd be interested in helping if it were a web app, as I am a LAMP developer, but haven't worked with C++ enough to feel comfortable.

From today's Slashdot:

"Qt, the highly polished, well documented, modern GUI toolkit owned by Nokia will be available under the LGPL starting with version 4.5! It was previously only mainly available under the GPL and a commercial license. Selling licenses was an important part of Qt under Trolltech as it was the company's main source of income, but Trolltech is a fruit-fly compared to Nokia, who want to encourage and stimulate the use of Qt Everywhere [PDF]. This is fantastic news for all commercial developers looking to create cross-platform applications without the need to buy a $4950 multi-platform license per developer."

Great idea and thanks for putting your work on SF. QT took a couple hours to install on my macbook pro vai ports. Was able to run the make file, but get this when I try to run it.
Code:
$ ./brewtarget
-bash: ./brewtarget: cannot execute binary file
I know it's probably not ready for the mac, but thought i'd report my findings.

I'd be interested in helping if it were a web app, as I am a LAMP developer, but haven't worked with C++ enough to feel comfortable.

Hm. Well, I would say that sounds like it didn't actually compile. There is a brewtarget executable in the package, but it is a Linux ELF executable which I don't think will execute on a mac. So, do a "rm brewtarget" then "qmake brewtarget.pro" then "make". Pay attention to any errors after the "make". If it didn't succeed, then you won't have another "brewtarget" file.

Ok, realized it won't copy to my other mac and run, which means I compiled a shared object binary, rebuilding things statically so it can be used elsewhere ;)

~Phil

I do a lot of programming on Windows, and have done a good amount of linux programming in the past. I'm mainly doing windows work now, but would be happy to help with cross compiling and development work.

Awesome, I've gotten a lot of good responses! By the way, this project is evolving rapidly since I have a lot of free time right now. If you want the latest up-to-the-minute version, you can download it here at the bottom where it says "download GNU tarball." Or, if you know how to use subversion, you are free to "check out" the current version from the project's repository.

So the gui is really coming along to match the behind-the-scenes code that has been written for several weeks. Here's what it looks like as of right now on my ubuntu linux:

3201379939_946a3bffb2_o.png

(btw, I DO know that a dry stout isn't a bohemian pilsner...)

When I get to a point where I feel like it is really usable, I will make a snapshot of the code and call it the first alpha version, and I might ask for some of you to do a mac and pc build.

'Til next time!

everything about this thread made my head hurt since i understood about 10% of it but luckily i'm drinking Leviathan Imperial IPA which makes it better.. (i love work)

please let me know when you have this suitable for computer n00bs to download because I have been looking for something like this so thanks!

Ok rebuilt it statically, its working on both macs, here's a link:

BUT, it doesn't seem to have any data in its select boxes NOR does it seem to be editable really... Is it still that early on? I know have an easy method of rebuilding it. Since its Qt4, it builds fast, and is statically linked so it can be used to give to anyone.

I just saw your updates... I've got the older code I'm sure... Let me know when you're ready for some testers and I'll rebuild it on mac and we can get the mac binary built and available too.

I'm rebuilt from trunk, and I'm going to have to manually edit some problems out of the database.xml file, its throwing errors like:

./brewtarget.app/Contents/MacOS/brewtarget
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'XmlNodeException'
what(): XmlNode error: unexpected end tag: /MASH_TUN_WEIGHT

I figured it out, you have <TUN_WEIGHT>1232</MASH_TUN_WEIGHT>
and its hanging, you should put some xml checks in the code to fail sanely and complain the xml had bad data...

Playing more ;)

I'm rebuilt from trunk, and I'm going to have to manually edit some problems out of the database.xml file, its throwing errors like:

./brewtarget.app/Contents/MacOS/brewtarget
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'XmlNodeException'
what(): XmlNode error: unexpected end tag: /MASH_TUN_WEIGHT

I figured it out, you have <TUN_WEIGHT>1232</MASH_TUN_WEIGHT>
and its hanging, you should put some xml checks in the code to fail sanely and complain the xml had bad data...

Playing more ;)

Yeah, I had the same problem earlier today. I grabbed most of the examples off of the beerxml website, and turns out, they have a LOT of errors in their own examples! As you can see, I am throwing exceptions, but I have not yet written in code to handle the exceptions. Keep checking out new versions if you want, just understand that this stuff might happen since the code is not even alpha yet :mug: However, I think I am getting very close to an alpha release.

I built again from the trunk this morning and its looking more fleshed out, well done :)

btw, I'd much rather be able to cvs get it... I see there's a repo but its not really setup to allow any anonymous co... can you set that up so I can just update every once in a while instead of

download

delete old

untar new

recompile?

I built it on Linux. Looks like a great start. You have a LONG way to go before it replaces BeerSmith or the like. I wish I had the time to help you, but the last thing I need is another project...especially one that involves the computer. Good luck!

I built again from the trunk this morning and its looking more fleshed out, well done :)

btw, I'd much rather be able to cvs get it... I see there's a repo but its not really setup to allow any anonymous co... can you set that up so I can just update every once in a while instead of

download

delete old

untar new

recompile?

I am using subversion. The basics of subversion are essentially the exact same as cvs...

Code:
svn co https://brewtarget.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/brewtarget/trunk

Yuri_Rage said:
I built it on Linux. Looks like a great start. You have a LONG way to go before it replaces BeerSmith or the like. I wish I had the time to help you, but the last thing I need is another project...especially one that involves the computer. Good luck!

Yeah, I know. But, I believe in open source, and I know I can do this.

Back