Puree vs. Juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrhammonds

Reaction score
I am making some fruit wheat ales this summer; I have both a blender and a juicer, and was wondering: What are the pros and cons of both purees and juices? I want to use fresh fruit (e.g., blood orange and peach); I am pasteurizing them, but am wondering which method would be more advantageous. For instance, should I juice the peaches and add the juice (along with the discarded peach flesh) to the secondary? Or blend them and dump in the homemade puree? Won't the yeast eat/ferment the sugar with both methods?
I can understand the differences in commercial purees and juices--but with homemade fruit, will it matter? Any suggestions/insight will help, Thanks!

Isn't the idea of the juicer to separate the pulp from the juice, if you are going to juice them and then throw the pulp in anyway, isn't that the same as just using the blender.

The flavor is going to some from the leftover stuff, so I would put all the fruit in there. Just blend it up, but don't forget that fruit is covered in wild yeast and bacteria.

Back