Won't somebody please stop and think of the beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donasay

Reaction score
http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/952211,beer051508.article

Cash-strapped drinkers are starting to trade down to economy beers, the chief executive of Miller Brewing Co. said Thursday.

The Milwaukee-based brewer saw some shift between higher-priced, premium beers and economy beers such as Miller High Life and Milwaukee’s Best starting in January, Tom Long told reporters on a conference call.

‘‘We think it’s primarily driven by decline of disposable income and pocket money that American consumers are feeling right now,’’ he said.

Long said the volume of beers sold remains stable, but the company expects to sell more lower-priced beers this year if gas prices continue to rise.

It will upswing again. Everything is really expensive right now and people still need gas and food. I think the good craft brewers will weather the storm just fine.

Thats also from a company called Miller.... yeah the ones that think 'Chilada' is an actual beer style... they probably have their graphs upside down...

Its Understandable, My bro is a life long Bud drinker and He recently switched to High Life because of the price. However he refuses to switch from Kodiak to Grizzly Dip.

I´ll start drinking liquor exclusively before I raise a High Life - that crap tastes like someone already drank it. BLEAH!!!

Another reason is consumers are well aware that, besides the ad campaigns, all American Light Lagers pretty much taste the same...

Edit to add: Come to think of it, the malt and hops bill cannot possible be much different between Milwaukee's Beast and Miller or Bud. As a result, it's got to be a direct hit to their bottom line. I mean, a can costs about the same, transportation costs about the same.

This is bad news for the beer manufacturers... not that I'm exactly crying them a river or anything... ;-)

Not joking - it really turns my stomach. I will have a BCM on occasion but not HL.

I don't homebrew enough to have a steady supply so I still pick up some beer on Fridays, and yes, as cost of living goes up I'm starting to think twice about picking up that $10 four pack of 90 minute ipa, and I'm def. not buying any trappist ales lately. So I do see my liquor consumption going up because even though I don't mind drinking the occasional macro brew I don't see myself picking up a sixer of bud on my way home tonight.:)

Yah, this really hurts BMC when people switch from the pricey horse urine to cow. I can't imagine their "premium" beers costing more than a penny or two a can extra to produce, considering their ingredients run 4-5% of the cost. Not the retail price mind you, cost.

The bad part of homebrewing is that I now drink more than before I started brewing. The good part is, if I have beer, it's already paid for.

This has got me thinking also about beers which are way too overpriced to begin with, can anyone say Stone Brewing. It's good stuff, but jesus, I've seen it here for up to $15 a six pack. I mean c'mon it's preety good but not that damn good.

I'd like to know what they consider "premium" beer!

While there are plenty of great beers to buy, they are def more expensive than BMC crap. Then again, there is more in them, so it makes sense.

I still, however, would never buy the BMC stuff anymore. I can drink Labatts, but that is about the low limit on flavor for me.

Back