Need the basics on making cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivypunx

Reaction score
I have never done a batch and my wife loves hard cider. I have been brewing for a while and I want to try it out. What are the basics to getting a batch. Do you mash the apples, I just need to know the process

Oh and to answer your question, use a fruit masher and then bring the juice to above 160f. I'd bring it up to about 190 and let it sit for a few minutes. Pasteurization happens instantly at 160 , but just to be safe bring it up a little higher to make sure it's thorough. If you boil your juices then you'll have a cloudy product, I'm not a rocket surgeon or anything, but if memory serves me correctly it has something to do with the pectic enzymes coagulating.

Safety note if you are bottling (vs. kegging) and trying to make a sweet or semi-sweet cider: if you bottle before the cider is done fermenting (it'll generally ferment quite dry), or backsweeten before you bottle, you'll need to bottle pasteurize (check the lengthy thread on that topic) or you will surely get bottle bombs.

Oh and to answer your question, use a fruit masher and then bring the juice to above 160f. I'd bring it up to about 190 and let it sit for a few minutes. Pasteurization happens instantly at 160 , but just to be safe bring it up a little higher to make sure it's thorough. If you boil your juices then you'll have a cloudy product, I'm not a rocket surgeon or anything, but if memory serves me correctly it has something to do with the pectic enzymes coagulating.

Add spices while pasteurizing or when going into fermentor?

I don't add spices, so I'm not the expert, but the consensus seems to be to add them closer to the bottling stage like dry hopping

Search for Caramel Apple Cider recipe on HBT and do that first. Easy and fantastic. You can brew up a batch on the same day that you're brewing some beer.

Back