Cream cheese frosting in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHearted

Reaction score
I am making an American Wheat beer (5 gal), and will be adding flavoring through a homemade extract. The extract is 1 oz cream cheese, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1oz salted butter, and roughly a pound of blueberries, 125 ml of Everclear, and 125 ml of water, similar to Ryans Brewing fat washing. Basically a blueberry cream cheese frosting.

My dilemma is this: I want to make sure this is carbonated, but dont want any bottle bombs. Since I have already added a 1/2 cup of sugar to this extract, but dont know how much will get removed when I filter, should I go ahead and add another 1/2 cup of sugar for carbonation, or just an 1/8 of a cup?

The extract smells amazing, so I want to make sure this works. Any help would be appreciated.

Whoa...wild man.

The question is, when exactly are you adding this to the wort/beer? That will determine how you go about priming. Also, what do you mean by filtering (when and what size)?

It's on to worry about the wellbeing of things you love. Noob or not.

Umm....wasn't meaning to reply to this thread....interesting concept...I have poor iPhone skills. My apologies.

I would expect a large portion of the sugar to be dissolved in your extract. If your filtering with something like a coffee filter or paint strainer, that sugar is going into your beer. The complication is that there's probably some sugar still left at the bottom of you extract container so it's not exactly 1/2 cup. Good luck.

To answer the questions, it is getting added right before bottling, like when you would normally add priming sugar.

The butter would reduce head retention, thats why I am using the fat washing technique http://ryanbrews.blogspot.com/2011/10/fat-washing-using-fatty-or-oily-foods.html

As for the filtering, final filtering would be done with a coffee filter. I do think some sugar will get lost in the process, so I think Im leaning toward adding an additional 3/8 cup of sugar.

Here's to hoping I actually have some beers to drink when all is said and done! :mug:

Back