Another way to bottle pasturize

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daze

Reaction score
First I want to start by thanking Pappers for the fantastic pasteurizing how-to on the thread" Easy Stove-Top Pasteurizing - With Pics" If it had not been for that thread I would have had no starting point and would still be stuck drinking sweet still beverages or sparkling dry ones, but now because of that thread I can have my sweet and bubbles too. Hats of to you!!!

I am not one to EVER leave anything alone. I am constantly trying to improve my self and the things around me. After reading through the entire thread, and seeing the stories of bottle bombs I quickly concluded that the stories of brakeage were do to people not doing things exactly as Pappers described. They were not checking their CO2 levels, they were using the wrong bottles, and or they were not heating things as described in the thread. So quite simply if you wanted the pasteurizing process to be successful you needed to follow the directions and you could not deviate because there was little margin for error. It got me thinking even though this pasteurizing technique is highly effective was their room for improvement, is there a better way that might be a little less likely to go horribly wrong should some one make a mistake???

After looking at mistakes people make I devised a slightly different technique that has proven to work well for me:

Preparing for Pasteurization

1. I start with CLEAR cider or wine (if it is not clear it is still an active ferment and easy to overcarbonate), back-sweeten it and then bottle it in clean sanitized bottles with no imperfections. I place the bottles in a case and put the case in my basement where it is cooler.

2. Day two, I examine a bottle to see if the liquid has clouded up. if it has I proceed immediately to step 3, if not I give it another couple of days (this time may very for you depending on temperature and yeast used)

3. The #1 cause I found in the thread for bottles exploding during pasteurization is over carbonation so you must check the CO2 levels in the brew before you pasteurize. To do that after the brew has had a few days to carbonate I pop the cap and see if the liquid bubbles. If it does not I recap the bottle with a sterilized cap and put the date on the lid. I repeat this process, every couple days popping an un-dated cap until I have the desired co2 level. By recapping them I can allow them all to carbonate rather than drinking half of my cider before it carbonates.

I have heard two objections to recapping. The first is by popping the cap you are letting all the co2 out, but this simply is not the case. Yes some if it is escaping, but it is just like a bottle of pop, once you open it, if you re cap it the next time you open it there should still be co2 in it plus the yeast will continue to add more CO2 until you pasteurize. The second objection I often here is that by opening the bottle you run the risk of contaminating the beverage. There is a slight truth to this BUT because the bottle is destin to be pasteurized any contaminating microbe is going to be killed so it is really not an issue.

Actual Pasteurization

4. When my bottles are ready to pasteurize I place my stockpot on the stove with water in it, and turn the burner on high. I affix a candy thermometer to the side of the pot and watch the temperature closely. My max temp is 175ºF. I know in Pappers instructions it says to go with 190º but my technique allows you to use lower temps. I feel this is the single biggest step in increasing the margin for error, and is important because according to the Internet search I did the boiling point of alcohol is about 173º F and by starting with the stockpot at 175º compared to 190º there is less of a risk of increased bottle pressure due to expanding alcohol.

Edited 03/24
the water and alcohol mix will result in a boiling point some where between water and alcohol with it being closer to the boiling point of water, also internal pressure will also raise the boiling point. I only mentioned boiling point to show that alcoholic beverages are going to produce more pressure at lower temps.

To any of you that have used Pappers technique, I know what you are probably thinking "If you start with a lower temperature, once you add the bottles the temperature of the pasteurizing water will drop to low or you will only be able to do a few bottles at a time to maintain the correct temp" Because of the added step I am about to describe the opposite is true. My pasteurizing water temp barely drops AND I can "crowd the pot" and do 10 -12 bottles at a time.

5. While the water in my stockpot is heating I place my bottles in a second stockpot (sitting in my sink) and fill it with the hottest water I can get from my tap about 120ºF. This starts the pasteurizing process and preheats the bottles to a temperature closer to that of my pasteurizing bath. After about 10 minutes the temperature between the bottles and the tap water as equalizes so I turn the hot tap back on, letting the stockpot overflow as the cooler water is replaced by the new hot water.

6. By the time my pasteurizing pot gets up to 175º my bottles are already at 120º I then turn off the heat on the pasteurizing pot and transfer the hot bottles in to the pasteurizing bath. From there I remove the thermometer, cover the pot, and check the clock so I will know when 10 minutes has passed.

7. When time has elapsed I stick the thermometer back in the liquid and get a reading. the temperature change is usually less than 10º. Last night I pasteurized 10 bottles preheated to 120º with the pasteurizing liquid starting at 175º prior to adding the bottles. The final temp of the pasteurizing liquid 10 minutes later was 166ºF more than enough to pasteurize the liquid as 140º for 10 minutes is all that is required. From there I simply remove the bottles and let them cool.

If I had had more than 10 or 12 bottles to do I would have started preheating the next batch as soon as I transferred the first batch from the preheating stockpot in to the pasteurizing pot. Not only does this technique allow you to work with cooler temperatures, but it also allows you to heat the pasteurizing pot up quicker for the next batch because you only need to raise the temperature about 10º

This thread is by no means a slam against Pappers technique. What Pappers has provided is a proven method and safe when done correctly but there is not a lot of room to make mistakes. I just wanted to pass on what I have discovered. It IMHO gives you a little higher margin for error and thus reduces the chance of bottle bombs if a mistake is made in the process.

Just a comment on the liquid boiling... The fluid that you have in the bottle is a mixture of alcohol and water. As a result the boiling point of the mixture is somewhere between that of alcohol and water. A 5% alcohol mixture will only be slightly less than the boiling point of water (212).

The fluid that you have in the bottle is a mixture of alcohol and water. As a result the boiling point of the mixture is somewhere between that of alcohol and water.

Excellent point!! and I am really glad you brought it up because the last thing I wanted to imply was that the alcohol in the bottles was going to spontaneously vaporize at 173º causing catastrophic bottle failure. My point (which I can see now is not as clear in the post as it was in my head :) :) ) is that the alcohol in the bottles will cause the pressure in the bottles to rise a little higher than it would with water alone as the temperature of the bottles goes up, and the closer we get to that "mixed" boiling point the more pressure there will be. The short answer, and the way I should have written it :) is regardless of the alcohol content less heat equals less internal bottle pressure. Thanks again for pointing out my miscommunication.

As pressure increases the boiling point also increases. So a carbonated bottle it's a less likely to get hot enough to boil in the first place

As pressure increases the boiling point also increases. So a carbonated bottle it's a less likely to get hot enough to boil in the first place

Again excellent point and absolutely true. As I said above

The short answer, and the way I should have written it :) is regardless of the alcohol content less heat equals less internal bottle pressure.

The problem is not the boiling but rather the pressure. 99% of the people who had bottle bombs while pasteurizing had either to much CO2 (to much starting pressure) or they over heated the bottles (to much heat pressure). I am not saying that preheating the bottles will keep all these people from having problems but it will reduce heat pressure and eliminate some of the bombs.

As for pasteurizing, is the primary goal to kill yeast and halt carbonation. Assuming you have a fridge with enough storage capacity, could you not store the unpasteurized bottled cider in the fridge. Those putting the yeast into hibernation and ceasing carbonation.

As for pasteurizing, is the primary goal to kill yeast and halt carbonation. Assuming you have a fridge with enough storage capacity, could you not store the unpasteurized bottled cider in the fridge. Those putting the yeast into hibernation and ceasing carbonation.

People can and do. But fridge space is a limited resource. Pasteurization allows you to store your cider at room temp as well as transport it. Additionally, it will kill any potential microorganisms which can ruin cider over time.

+1 to what LeBreton said also due to the fermentation activity (which creates heat) it will take a wile to get the solution in the bottles down cold enough to slow fermentation. Also most fridges are set above freezing which means you will slow down their fermentation but not stop it so bottle bombs are still a risk with time. Lastly if you use a beast like ec-1118 even the fridge will not do as that yeast is hard to stop even with cold.

couple other advantages to pasteurization is it helps speed up the aging process and it makes the shelf life indefinite.

nothing to be afraid of as long as you check the co2 levels before you pasteurize.

I put a sample in a plastic water bottle and i've checked a few bottles out. Plastic bottle rock hard and bottle cider pours with a head. Is this too much? When you say check what is my benchmark?

If the bottle is hard that tells you there is co2, bot doesn't say how much. crack open the bottle and if it gushes thats to much, if it bubbles like a pop than you are good to go, get your water hot and pasteurize. Basically if you open a "volcano" there is to much co2

Daze sorry to hijack the thread. But I think I missed my carb level. Just opened a bottle and it foamed almost to the top of the bottle. I chicken so I just chucked it in my beer frig. Thanks for the advice and you brought some new ideas to bottle pasteurization.

easy fix. let them warm back up to room temperature, pop the top then immediately recap with a new cap. Popping the top will remove the excess co2 and make them perfect for pasteurization.

Daze said:
easy fix. let them warm back up to room temperature, pop the top then immediately recap with a new cap. Popping the top will remove the excess co2 and make them perfect for pasteurization.

Plus 1 to this. It'll still recarb up after releasing pressure. All is not lost.

anteup said:
I put a sample in a plastic water bottle and i've checked a few bottles out. Plastic bottle rock hard and bottle cider pours with a head. Is this too much? When you say check what is my benchmark?

I wouldn't use water bottles for this. Use a real soda pop bottle. They are designed to hold pressure. There is more risk using the water bottle because you can get carbonation and not feel the bottle get firm enough.

Plus 1 to this. It'll still recarb up after releasing pressure. All is not lost.

It doesn't even need to recarb. It is just like a bottle of pop if you open it, take a swig and then put the lid back on there will be plenty of co2 in solution to have good carbonation.

Thanks for posting this, I think I'll try this method when I get around to bottling my apfelwein. I had one thought that I shared in the other thread, looking for feedback, but no one responded. What do you think of using two different sugars at bottling -- one for carbonation, and one for backsweetening? My idea is to dissolve honey in boiled/cooled water and backsweeten to taste. Then, add a measured amount of corn sugar for carbonation. The thought here is that the yeast will quickly consume the corn sugar, but take a lot longer on the honey. The end goal is that your margin for error on carb level should increase. Does this sound like a good idea?

I wouldn't want to prime/back-sweeten with something you are not willing to taste. normally when people prime with corn sugar they are using just enough to create the correct co2 levels, but not so much that any is left over. Yes the honey will take longer to ferment, but the yeast will not pick one sugar over another and just eat it as it comes so they will start to ferment the honey and sugar right away, so by the time you get the correct co2 some of the honey will have been eaten and some of the corn sugar will be left behind. A person could use less corn sugar but the trick would be to figure out how much faster the corn sugar will be eaten than the honey. I would just use honey and call it good.

Almost exactly what I was thinking of doing when I bottle this batch.
I have been a little apprehensive to try bottle pasteurizing but after reading through most of Pappers thread It seemed like people were using higher than necessary temps.
Out of the 6 1/2 gallons i have ready to bottle this weekend, I'll bottle up some of it sparkling dry and experiment with a few bottles done with this method sweetened with some caramel syrup.

Thanks for this method Daze, i have successfully pasteurized 2 batches (10 bottle as a test then 20 next time), No bottle bombs and what seems to be stable cider (2 weeks from first batch)

One thing is i can definitely taste a difference between pre pasteurization taste - still taste good but different - is this normal

Sorry for the old bump

One thing is i can definitely taste a difference between pre pasteurization taste - still taste good but different - is this normal

Glad to help!!! Little less tart and less of an alcohol flavor?? Reason I ask, is heat is what big wine companies use to rapidly age their wine, and I have found that pasteurization works much the same way. It is no substitute for aging but it does kick start the process by a month or two. Good news is the cider will continue to age on its own even after it has been pasteurized.

I just did 12 bottles at once today ant it worked fantastic. I have done a lot of batches this way sence i came up with the preheating technique and I love that I can croud the pot and that I can pasteurize at lower temps.

Daze, thanks for posting this. I am going to pasteurize a batch soon and the other thread was starting to make me nervous. I am wondering what type of stove people are doing this with (gas vs. electric)? Mine is electric so are there any differences that I need to account for? In the other thread I saw ViperMan comment that he was using a silicon insulator on the bottom of his pot. Do people think that is necessary? Should I do that and any suggestions on where to get one and what type?

Could you just pasteurize your bottles of cider in the sink by pouring the hottest water from your tap to preheat the bottles and then pouring boiling water into the sink till it comes up to175 and just keep the water hot by adding more hot water. I don't have a big enough pot for my one liter bottles, so I am thinking this would work the same, i could use a cookie sheet for a lid to help keep heat in and also protect from any bombs.....which I don't see happening if I check co2 levels before starting. Just don't want to buy. A large pot for just this reason, I have a tiny kitchen and no storage space for a huge pot lol.

Just started using your pasteurization method on 5 gallons of cider, Daze. 20 bottles down and no bombs. Thanks for posting this.

EDIT: Finished all bottles without issue.

I have a pot I got for making jellies and jams and was wondering what the issue would be in using the metal rack that keeps stuff just off the base of the pot and bringing up the entire pot with cider in it from cold to 160-170 and letting it sit once it hits that point. It seems, provided it is kept of the surface of the pot, that a gradual increase in temp would be safer then putting bottles into an already hot environment. Any flaws in this? My pot will hold 8 bottles and I'm planning on using a soda bottle to keep track of CO2 levels and popping a top of one right before doing this as a safety double check.

The only issues I see deal with the temperature. here is an official pasteurizing guid

at 53C = 128F minimum time to kill population 56 min
at 60C = 140F minimum time to kill population 5.6 min
at 67c = 152F minimum time to kill population .56 min

The pasteurizing process starts at lower temperatures and It takes 140º for 10 minutes so making 140º the max will give you lots of time on both sides so there is really no reason to go up to 160 or 170. the only reason I start that high is because the temp drops when the bottles are added. Second you will need to monitor the temperature closely to make sure the bottles don't over heat. This will put you in the line of fire so to speak should one of the bottles let go. I like doing it the other way because there are no pressure vessels in the water when I am taking regular temp readings and then I can add the bottles, place a lid then walk away. After 10 minutes any bottles that might have gone should have already so the follow up temp reading is not as dangerous.

Bumping this thread. I'm doing this method today on my batch of cider. I've done Pappers method between 5-10 times and always had at between one and three blow up (If it's happened to you, you know you'll remember it!), even with a towel in the bottom! Now I'm almost to the end of my batch and not one bomb yet!! (Knock on wood).

I'm curious if anyone using this method in this thread has been able to age long term and what their experiences are? I'm just leery about a yeast cell surviving and restarting fermentation after a few months or something.

I'm curious if anyone using this method in this thread has been able to age long term and what their experiences are? I'm just leery about a yeast cell surviving and restarting fermentation after a few months or something.

I have cider that has aged over a year after using this technique and there have been no issues. Yeast die at about 100º F so this pasteurizing technique is more than adequate to kill them off. I have done lots of batches and only one bottle has let go while I was doing it. In that case I think it was a flaw in the glass, because the bottom came of in a perfect circle.

I'm not sure if I am thinking right yet this morning. But reading this thread, I was just wondering if it might be possible to pasteurize the whole batch of cider in a large pot on the stove, and then bottle. What I am thinking is fermenting the cider to a level that tastes really good, maybe 1.03 or so and pasteurizing the whole batch in a large pot by heating to 180 or whatever. Then, bottle the batch with a dose of carbing sugar and a small amount of yeast to carb.

Would this work???

I guess I'm just looking for an easier way. (My first batch of Pappas cider was a complete disaster when I tried to pasteurize in the dishwasher, but it was my fault, I bottled with entirely too much CO2.

sorry to say but it wont work. The reason you pasteurize is to kill the yeast. If you prime with sugar and more yeast, the new yeast will eat the priming sugar and and residual sugar left in the cider so you will still have bombs. Easy way to avoid bombs, is to check the co2 levels before pasteurizing. open one and re cap.

OK, so I’m gonna lay a BUNCH of data on you here. If you’re interested, read on. If not, skip to my humble conclusions for the big finish.

What brought this on: I did my first-ever batch pasteurization earlier today, a six bottle batch of ginger beer. To approximate the process I’d be using in general, I set up four “dummy” bottles filled with water only and capped them. They all sat around with the ginger beer bottles to get to room temperature, put them through a “pretreat” as you mention here for 10 minutes in the hottest tap water I could get into the sink, then I treated all of them for ten minutes with a 175 degree starting bath temperature. After ten minutes I set all the bottles into an open-topped plastic tub to cool, but immediately popped the top on one of the WATER ONLY bottles and was surprised to find the internal temperature of the bottle was 166 degrees! This means that 175 degrees for ten minutes is MORE than enough to meet the “140 for 10 internal temperature” rule. SO, I got to thinking about two things:

1.) Just how low can we go, temperature-wise, and still hit 140 degrees internal temperature for ten minutes;

And

2.) How much of a difference does the “pre-warming” in the sink really make?

My humble test methods:

-I started by preparing 20 standard 12-ounce longneck bottles with room-temperature (70 degrees) water, filled to about 1.5” from the top, and capped them all. I planned two batches:

-The first batch was the “no prewarming” batch, where I just took the room temperature bottles and put them right in the hot bath.

-The second batch was the “prewarming” batch, where I first treated the bottles to 10 minutes of the hottest water I could get from my tap.

Treatment details: I did the treatments in my Bayou Classic 10 gal pot that I use for boils. It measures 18” tall x 14” diameter. I placed a round cooling rack in the bottom of the pot to allow the hot water to get as much contact with the bottles as possible. The amount of water I used for the treatments was about 4.3 gallons, enough to get to about ½” below the caps when all ten bottles are submerged. Target temperature for both batches was 165 degrees; I was sure I could get the treatment temperature down a bit based on the earlier results from the 175 degree batch.

I DID use the lid on the pot.
I DID NOT continue to add heat through the treatment time, just flame off and bottles in.
I DID NOT insulate the pot, just let it cool. Insulating the pot would have yielded even better results, will have to consider that for future trials.

-Every five minutes, I removed one bottle, GENTLY inverted it a couple times to make sure the temperature in the bottle was consistent, popped the top, and measured the temperature of the water inside the bottle. I ran each treatment for twenty minutes, then removed all the bottles to my cooling tub. I then kept the clock running and continued to check temperatures in the bottles every five minutes to get an idea of how quickly they cooled. They cooled outdoors, in the mentioned tub; it was a windless 75 degree day.

Here’s how things ended up:

WITHOUT PREWARMING

Time (minutes) Bottle internal temp. (degF) Bath temp. (degF)
0------------------------70----------------------163
5-----------------------131----------------------151
10----------------------138----------------------148
15----------------------140----------------------146
20----------------------140----------------------144
Remaining bottles were removed, and during the cool:

Cooling time (minutes) Bottle internal temp (degF)
5------------------------------133
10-----------------------------128
15-----------------------------124
20-----------------------------124

WITH PREWARMING

(The hottest water I could get from my tap was 130 degF. The prewarm cycle was a ten minute soak in water that was initially 130 degrees. Unlike the procedure used by the OP, I did NOT top off with fresh hot water as it cooled. After ten minutes, the internal temperature of one of the bottles was 103 degF. I immediately moved all ten into the treatment bath at that point.)

Time (minutes) Bottle internal temp. (degF) Bath temp. (deg F)
0----------------------103------------------------165
5----------------------141------------------------155
10---------------------147------------------------153
15---------------------148------------------------151
20---------------------147------------------------148
Remaining bottles were removed, and during the cool:

Cooling time (minutes) Bottle internal temp (degF)
5----------------------------140
10---------------------------134
15---------------------------132
20---------------------------126

(sorry about the crappy formatting on the numbers. I should have imbedded jpgs of the tables. Next time...)

My humble conclusions:

- Even without the prewarming, the lower 165 bath temperature still came very close to meeting the rules for “140 for 10” after only ten minutes in the bath. I know that 138 degrees isn’t 140, but it’s definitely much higher than the 120 degrees that is considered “yeast death temperature.” Leaving the bottles in for 20 minutes would pretty much have satisfied the rule. But this would take longer to do a full batch, and since you can preheat the coming batch while the previous batch is “cooking,” it’s a good time-saver.

- With prewarming, the lower temperature of 165 degrees still knocks it out of the park. A bottle removed after ten minutes in the bath would be 147 degrees, would have been over 140 since the five minute mark, and would still be over 140 for the first five minutes of the cooling cycle, so you’re good to go.

- There are SO many different directions you can take this. I was very surprised at how quickly the bottles reached equilibrium with the bath temperature. If you were worried about exploding bottles (due to higher carbonation levels or whatever) and wanted to experiment with even lower temperatures for longer soak times, have a go! Also, I’d figure the lower the temperature seen by the beverage, the less effect on taste there would be (no?). Find a bath temperature and time interval that works for you!

- I really like the idea of treating a CLEARLY MARKED water-filled bottle at least once in a while to check your process and make sure you’re hitting your targets. This way, you KNOW how hot your beverage is getting. Obviously, use your noggins kids: NO opening of carbonated bottles while they’re still hot, right!? The heat capacity of water is higher than that of ethanol, so if anything the temperature the mixture of water and alcohol in your drinkin’ bottles will be just a smidge higher than your water-only test bottle.

Holler if I missed any details in the procedure, I will address them.

Thanks for this thread. I've been using this technique to pasteurize my ginger beer and it works fantastically and also is very safe.
Cheers!

Back