2011 LongShot Judging Sheets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkBrood

Reaction score
Has anyone out there gotten their judging sheets back from Samuel Adams yet for 2011 entries? The last I heard, they were supposed to mail by the end of July......

Allrighty then....guess I'll have to be patient and have a homebrew! ;P

The rules and regs on the longshot website were updated awhile ago to state that scoresheets will be mailed out or emailed to participants by September 1, 2011.

I know I haven't received mine back yet, but just wanted to share that little detail.

I got my sheet back last night, came in a large yellow bubble pack envelope with a t-shirt!

I got my padded envelope on Thursday. It was my first time entering the Longshot, and I was impressed enough to try submitting again. The next time, though, I'll brew a batch specifically for it. This time I sent styles which I gathered would not make it to the finals...but considering they judged over 1,000 entries...I was happy to see official score sheets and a free t-shirt. Can't blame Sam Adams for being slightly delayed in processing everyone's entry.

Mine came in this past Saturday. The t-shirt is very nice, mainly I'm happy for the feedback. (Although one of the two sheets didn't fill out the name, etc....and they decided to judge my Category 23 ale as a Foreign Extra Stout, even though my sub-style was listed as Porter.) Got downgraded for not being true enough to the FES style. I feel I would've scored higher against Porter style. <sigh> I guess Cat23 is confusing to everybody....maybe something more straightforward next year....

Out of curiosity, does anyone out there want to compare notes?

My entry scored a 30.

Aroma: 7 averaged. Sounds like the spices were a little strong and the fruit was a little weak for what they wanted. (Although I wanted a spiced ale with a hint of fruit...)

Appearance: 2 averaged. Color, head, head retention all good. The only detraction noted was that both judges mentioned it was "cloudy" - need better fining, I guess.

Flavor: 11.5 averaged. Comments about the maltiness and spices being good. No notes to explain why not higher-scoring (out of 20!). Everyone else finds it remarkably delicious...maybe the flight just included tastier brews?

Mouthfeel: 3. Comments about body and carbonation being low "for the style". One comment that the oats didn't add much to the body, although the other judge noted the beer's creaminess. I guess more oats and maybe some wheat next time. I could up the carbonation a tiny bit, but am pretty happy where it is (for my own drinking) - it already pours with a 3+inch head that sticks around - I don't want to have to pour it like a hefe!

Overall: 6.5 averaged. Again, comments about it being light/sweet/not stout enough for a Foreign Extra Stout (well, duh....the substyle that I listed was a Porter). One said "interesting additions give interesting flavor" while the other concluded that "The stoutness is well hidden by the spices. A nice drinkable beverage (probably dangerous), but hard to say its still a robust porter."

Only one judge filled out the bottom-right scoring, giving me a 3/5 on Stylistic Accuracy, but 4/5 on both Technical Merit and Intangibles.

For the most part, good notes, but all skewed by their firm insistence on judging my Specialty Beer - Porter as though it were a straight-up Foreign Extra Stout. In the end, I think that I'm better off staying away from the confusion surrounding Category 23, at least as far as judging goes.

On another (but related) note, which upcoming competitions would y'all recommend entering (live in southern NH) for getting some good feedback? ...I entered two in the New England Homebrewers Jamboree only to find out that they don't even give out rankings or scores, let alone judging sheets (if you don't win, you don't hear ANYTHING back)....not interested in just tossing away my beer for random people to drink without any feedback. I'm more interested in improving my beers and process than winning a medal..

I entered two brews..... an Amber ale, and a Russian Imperial Stout.

Don't have the sheets with me, but the overall for the Amber was a 28, and the RIS scored 36.3, and was checked as having made it to a 'mini BOS round'...

<edit> the RIS was 36.3, not 36.8... my rememberer was a little off today at work... ;)

Out of curiosity, does anyone out there want to compare notes?

My entry scored a 30.

Aroma: 7 averaged. Sounds like the spices were a little strong and the fruit was a little weak for what they wanted. (Although I wanted a spiced ale with a hint of fruit...)

Appearance: 2 averaged. Color, head, head retention all good. The only detraction noted was that both judges mentioned it was "cloudy" - need better fining, I guess.

Flavor: 11.5 averaged. Comments about the maltiness and spices being good. No notes to explain why not higher-scoring (out of 20!). Everyone else finds it remarkably delicious...maybe the flight just included tastier brews?

Mouthfeel: 3. Comments about body and carbonation being low "for the style". One comment that the oats didn't add much to the body, although the other judge noted the beer's creaminess. I guess more oats and maybe some wheat next time. I could up the carbonation a tiny bit, but am pretty happy where it is (for my own drinking) - it already pours with a 3+inch head that sticks around - I don't want to have to pour it like a hefe!

Overall: 6.5 averaged. Again, comments about it being light/sweet/not stout enough for a Foreign Extra Stout (well, duh....the substyle that I listed was a Porter). One said "interesting additions give interesting flavor" while the other concluded that "The stoutness is well hidden by the spices. A nice drinkable beverage (probably dangerous), but hard to say its still a robust porter."

Only one judge filled out the bottom-right scoring, giving me a 3/5 on Stylistic Accuracy, but 4/5 on both Technical Merit and Intangibles.

For the most part, good notes, but all skewed by their firm insistence on judging my Specialty Beer - Porter as though it were a straight-up Foreign Extra Stout. In the end, I think that I'm better off staying away from the confusion surrounding Category 23, at least as far as judging goes.

On another (but related) note, which upcoming competitions would y'all recommend entering (live in southern NH) for getting some good feedback? ...I entered two in the New England Homebrewers Jamboree only to find out that they don't even give out rankings or scores, let alone judging sheets (if you don't win, you don't hear ANYTHING back)....not interested in just tossing away my beer for random people to drink without any feedback. I'm more interested in improving my beers and process than winning a medal..

I wish my sheets had that much detail.

I entered category 15d, roggenbier, and scored a 29.7. It was 6 of 6 in the flight. Nearly all the notes pointed to the fact that I didn't enter it in the correct category. Apparently they were looking for a banana/clove (which I believe is yeast) but I used an English ale yeast to force less attenuation. I got docked alot of points just for category selection I think. I also had the "beer moved on to mini BOS round). I'll scan my sheets and share them soon.

Once again, Sam Adams promised to deliver score sheets by Sept. 1...it'll be October in 2 days and I haven't heard anything yet....anyone else out there get some results for this year?

(I still haven't gotten my SA pint glasses from the "Come Brew With Us" contest...sent in the release forms promptly and everything...:mad: Why offer prizes that you're not going to deliver?)

Apparently this showed up today.

image-3541857026.jpg

I had forgotten about the Longshot competition until a few days ago when I saw this thread. Mine showed up today. My hefe placed second in the first round.

I had forgotten about the Longshot competition until a few days ago when I saw this thread. Mine showed up today. My hefe placed second in the first round.

indianaroller said:

Congrats!

Back